1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

better hobbed bolt

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by CAMBO3D, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Mind sharing which one you used?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. Denys Dmytriyenko

Denys Dmytriyenko Active Member

4. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

Mark, thanks dude!
    I did the seasoning thing (no salt or pepper:)) with the Canola oil ......WOW! what a difference!
    So I now have a little bottle of canola oil next to the printer. Before starting a print, I put a tiny drop on my finger and just pass it along the first 6" of filament or so. Perfect prints and no jams so far. I had one difficult spiral print going on, but since seasoning the hot end, no problems at all!.
    ....."3D printing today, part technology part black magic" ;)

3 people like this.
  5. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

Necessity being the mother of invention, my PLA guides and my on-line PLA lubricator made from a Faber Castell marker cover and a cotton-ball:

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  6. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

Just installed an aftermarket hobbed-bolt from E-bay, we'll see how it goes!

7. scotta

scotta Active Member

Oiler for PLA is the way to go. Ive not had a single jam since installing one. (using a E3D V5 hot end)

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I printed a ton of stuff w/o one, but at some point it just started becoming clog/jam central. Adding the oiler stopped that in its tracks. Not a jam since. Perhaps (total pie-in-the-sky-speculation here) the older the filament got (more humidity it soaked up, more mad cosmic rays, or whatever) the more it wanted to jam. Whatever the cause, the oiler solved it. I even left it on when printing nylon, just to see if it would impact that (in a bad way) ... no problems.

9. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

Oiler, ebay hobbed bolt and filament guides .....I have no more jamming problems! .....and lowered my extrusion temp 8*C :D

#149 Technidyne, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014
    3 people like this.
  10. Peter

Peter Member

I've just been lucky with my e3D v5 and I've never had a hot-end clog, I've put about 2kgs of filament through it so far (and thats my cheap chinese bulk order filament)

My upgraded hobbed bolt (see earlier posts) just needs a brush out after every 10 hours of printing or so.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I put a lot (3 spools or so) of PLA though before my E3D started wanting to clog.

12. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

Have to throw my weight behind this. After upgrading to the E3Dv6 it really exposed the hobbed bolt issue on the beta printer. Grabbed at 3 pack, and with-in 5 minutes I went from painful prints with the filament being chewed on to being able to do large scale prints without any real issues.

Only annoyance is the amount of washers I need in order to center the bolt right for the 29mm. It barely clears the rods on the left side. But it is 100% functional.

13. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

You might want to swap your long one for this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Robo-3D-Hob...673?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33962860a1.
    It has the hobb at 15mm from the base of the bolt head. The nut goes in the extruder gear and the bolt head goes on the left. I put one or two washers next to the bolt head and it centers nicely. Then I cut off the extra bolt length on the right side. I got it a over year ago but it looks like he is still selling the same one.

14. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

Thanks for the info folks I bought one of the upgrade hobbs bolts off Ebay today. After my bad print last night (PLA which never gives problems) I noticed my hobbed bolt had a worn flat spot. So I ordered the new hobbed bolt and I took the bodens tube from E3D v6 up to just below the bolt. I'm hoping with the new bolt this should now be a non issue.

15. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

@SteveC thanks, I bought the hobbed bolt. I cut it to length and have it installed. It appears to have vastly superior gripping power. Very happy. There is a limit to what I can do right now because my thermsister on my hot end is dying so I could only barely test the bolt.

16. Charlie S

Charlie S New Member

Hi good people. I’ve been gaining much insight here.and first thank you sooo much.

I think I’m having Hobbed bolt issues. Which one of these is best drop in replacement for the R1Plus?

I can’t post links can someone provide a link? Partsbuilt dot com looks pretty legit.

Thanks in advance
    -Charlie

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

PartsBuilt is the official supplier of Robo3D parts.
    If they have it in stock it is exactly what came with your machine

If they are out we can show you some on Amazon

18. Charlie S

Charlie S New Member

Awsome! thanks for the speedy reply Mark

19. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

20. Charlie S

Charlie S New Member

I guess there is a reason for the name Titan. Seems pretty solid. I just ordered an E3D V6 which I assume can be used with the direct drive Titan