1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Trying to fit a 40mm fan into an R2 (Completed)

Discussion in 'Projects' started by CdRsKuLL, Oct 14, 2018.

1. CdRsKuLL

CdRsKuLL Member

Project now completed.. uploaded to

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3162946

I thought I would try and improve the cooling as well as enable full control of the extruder fan. At the moment it comes on as soon as you turn the machine on which not only a waste of energy but is really annoying & loud!

So, my idea is to use the second extruder heating element plug and re-enable it as the extruder cooling fan pin. This will give on / off and speed control. Marlin has the function to turn on the fan if the extruder is above 50 degrees C, so this is what I'm aiming for. I'm about 30% done on the design now, just printing a sample out. I still need to do the air flow for both coolers yet.. and make sure it all fits without catching anything. Trying to also design so you can print it with no supports.

Rear view

upload_2018-10-14_21-29-23.png

Front view
    upload_2018-10-14_21-33-20.png

At the moment the 40mm fan slots in at the top and then the sensor is screwed on the back as it is now. It will be about 4 mm's further out so I will also need to change the off-set in the firmware to match. The fan I intend using will be 24v (same as the extruder #2 and not 12v like the current cooling fan.

Will update as I go..

Steve

#1 CdRsKuLL, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  2. CdRsKuLL

CdRsKuLL Member

Now updated to one piece, the above was two but didn't need to be. Rev B :)

upload_2018-10-15_8-9-36.png

Printing this one out now :)

Roberto Torres likes this.
  3. CdRsKuLL

CdRsKuLL Member

Rec C.. Printing another one now :) Comes with extended print coolers. Just got to test fit

upload_2018-10-15_10-19-15.png

Attached Files:

4. CdRsKuLL

CdRsKuLL Member

All done now :) Just a slight adjustment. Will print overnight and trial in the morning before release. If you do this mod you will need to reflash the firmware to swap the extruder pins and also correct the infrared sensor offset. I will supply the current and updated firmware too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the dirty nozzle, I've cleaned it now.. :) Initial tests are very good, no heat creep at all and I'm currently only running the fan at 40%. The new 40mm 24v fan is collected to the Extruder 2 socket.

5. CdRsKuLL

CdRsKuLL Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Excellent work, @CdRsKuLL!

I'm wondering if you were you running into any heat creep issues? And if so, did this fix them? It would certainly be an easier mod than the E3DV6 replacement I've been considering.

7. CdRsKuLL

CdRsKuLL Member

Hey @sgomes , I was running into heat creep but having only really tried one type of pla it's a bit unfair really for me to judge and say it was that. But, the pla works fine on my other printers without any problems. What I can say is, it was clicking after about 10 minutes before and now its completed a + 5hr print without any problems. It certainly generates a lot more airflow across the heatsink that's for sure. I went the whole hog and added a 24v 0.06A fan connected to the second extruder plug. You can go for 0.12A which should give you even more air going across. I think the 5 blade fans are also quieter than the 7 blade, but that's only what I've read. The real benefit for me is I can now leave the machine turned on all the time and it's quiet when not being used.

I'm still considering replacing the mainboard next so I can upgrade the drivers to make it silent even when printing, well as near as you can get. Maybe the next mod, after coloured LEDs :)

Thanks,

8. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

That's perfect, thank you so much, @CdRsKuLL! I'll definitely be looking at your mod, then, as soon as I buy a 40mm fan :)

9. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

@CdRsKuLL, I think I could benefit from this and I plan on printing one out soon. But I have a couple of questions/concerns. So this one is definitely bigger than the original. Does this replacement affect print volume at all (can it still use the full bed)? Also, since you moved the IR sensor, has it improved accuracy? My IR sensor sucks......bad. I only use it for UBL and never use Robo auto-leveling.

One last question......where did you buy the fans from?

p.s. Having good results with NylonX. Going to try and print this out of that.

EDIT: You stated that you printed with support only from the print bed? How did that come out with respect to the giant hole in the back of the shroud for the extruder fan?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want this to be successful.......what size nozzle did you print with?

#9 adikted2astro, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  10. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

Just did some "Shelter in place" upgrades.
    I redesigned the hotend mounting plate and cnc'd it out of aluminum
    Where the hotend mounts, the plate is 12.85mm thick. I believe the extra thickness could result in some fan blockage. I figured while I had it apart, I'd install your 40mm fan conversion to increase the flow. I used the 24v. My only question is, how much can you bend the wires on the heater cartridge before they break. I can't turn my hot end flush. The heater cartridge wires are pretty stiff and I don't want to break them.

I also installed the Titan extruder mod that WheresWaldo created. I was getting too much slippage with some carbon fiber pla. I wanted to be able to adjust the tension.

Attached Files:

11. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Having previously replaced heater elements and thermistors on the R2, as long as you don't repeatedly flex the leads, a near 90 degree bend is possible. The fiberglass sleeves could be an issue, so try to compensate for the additional thickness.

12. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

Where did you get that silicone cover for your hotend? That is a hexagon hotend correct? I can't find any anywhere.

13. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

I'm very sorry I can't answer that. It was a very long time ago.