1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Thinnest wall possible to print with stock setup?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Avrution, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Avrution

Avrution Member

Basically the title. I'm wondering if it is even possible to print something that is .1mm or less thick without downsizing the nozzle or something else fancy?

I'm needing to print a ring with a super thin surround, but not sure if it is possible.

I do have a few smaller nozzles (.2mm being the smallest), but have never used them.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Some details over here

https://weareprintlab.com/blog/printlab-3d-printing-tips

BUT...

The nozzle diameter is important, but not the only controlling factor.
    A 0.1 mm wall is extremely thin. If you are saying the entire object (walls+infill) is 0.1 mm then I wish you luck :) That sounds more like it needs an SLA or DLP (resin) printer rather than FDM (Fused Deposition Modelling or Fused Filament Fabrication -- FFF)

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

For models with fine details if I must use FDM I am using a really narrow nozzle (0.2 mm max) and I take the hit for how slow that must print (usually 4 times slower)

4. Avrution

Avrution Member

The whole thing is only about 10mm, pretty small and basically needs to be like a sheet of paper, but connected. Didn't think it would be possible, but had to ask.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I'd suggest giving it a try.
    Some slicers will do better than others.

At some point, however. you will be butting heads with the limits of the technology.

High detail, small items are not best done with FDM but they can often be done.

Pretty sure some of the older posts on here demonstrate some really fine details as long as you were patient :)

Search for posts by the user @tesseract