1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

LCD (or other) control panel. Mainly for filament change.

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by joea, May 2, 2020.

1. joea

joea Active Member

In other treads I have seen mention of changing filament in mid print.

As I looked into that, seems a Control Panel might be a reasonable way to go. However, in looking into adding a Control Panel, all sorts of pitfalls were mentioned, and, the posts seemed quite dated.

So, any new versions, fixes, etc for a good reasonable cost CP that does not require "a lot of custom work"?

Then again, looking at Matter Control, there is a means of creating a Macro, so may that is a saner way to go, given how infrequently I would likely be doing filament changes mid print.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you mean a LCD panel there are mainly 2 --

The RepRap Discout LCD

The Full Graphics LCD

Not suggesting you buy from those sellers, just linking for pictures. Now that you know the names you can better find instructions on them and details of how the look/what they do. Shop around -- neither is very expensive

There are threads on installing both here in the forum

If you are using the stock firmware for the R1/R1+ there is NO firmware modification needed to use the RepRap Discount LCD. It is already enabled in the stock firmware.

If you are using the Full Graphics LCD you need to make a couple of lines edit to the configuration.h AND include UG8.LIB (which you can find here: https://github.com/olikraus/U8glib_Arduino/releases/tag/1.19.1) and recompile and reload the firmware after hooking up the LCD.

3. joea

joea Active Member

Seems with the Full Graphics there are versions with "*2004LCD Controller" and "12864LCD(3.2’)". Significant difference?

4. joea

joea Active Member

Ah, I see there is a size difference. Any practical advantage to the larger display?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I(f you mean between the Discount and Full graphics -- yes there is a lot more features on the FG version than the Discount LCD controller. If you mean between the two versions of the FG controller you saw -- no advantage really.

6. joea

joea Active Member

Trying to install the smart LCD and, of course, cannot find the threads that describe the cable problems, having to reverse one, or both due to pin 1 orientation issues.

Since they are keyed, I do not want to mangle them needlessly. The issue is: LCD lights, but no display.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Which LCD exactly? Discount or Full Graphic?

8. joea

joea Active Member

Full Graphic, 12864 display. I found something that mentions having to have "firmware loaded" on the board for anything to display on the screen. I did try reversing the cables and the screen did not light. Orienting them as originally inserted still shows a backlit LCD but no text or other display.

If firmware needs to be loaded to the board, I must have missed that part, somehow.

9. joea

joea Active Member

Apparently that reference is to the Printer firmware, not firmware on the LCD controller.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Correct. The stock firmware is pre-configured for the Discount LCD, but requires a few lines changed and an extra library added to support the full-graphics one. You will get a blank screen without the firmware customized and the library included.

https://bintray.com/olikraus/u8glib/Arduino

You then also need to make the change noted here: https://reprap.org/wiki/RepRapDiscount_Full_Graphic_Smart_Controller#Marlin_V1_.28new.29

So you take the correct version of the robo firmware for your machine and edit the firmware source with that change and include the library then compile and upload to the Robo.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The Discount LCD (the smaller 4-line display) requires nothing other than hooking it up correctly.

12. joea

joea Active Member

Yeah, I blindly downloaded the latest library and got a boatload of compile errors. Downloaded 1.14 and that compiled OK.

I was thrown a curve when the LCD was on, even when the printer was "off". Took me a couple minutes to realize the USB was supplying power to it. I also noticed the LCD froze while scrolling with the USB still connected.

There is still something amiss, as "Auto Home" homes X and Y, then slews out a few inches to home Z. That can't be right.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is likely configurable in the source, it has been so long since i used the LCD on the R1 series I just don't remember. Next time I am out to the shop I will test it. All of mine are now fronted with an LCD driven by a Pi with OctoPrint that is used to remotely control them (and replaces the functionality of the LCD from a display side). I did not remove the old LCDs though so they are still there and still functional.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If it is working as intended the source for the LCD controls is included in Marlin so technically you could edit it.

15. joea

joea Active Member

I was going to rummage through it if no one had had a ready answer. However, now I am intrigued by the mention of Pi. I have one laying around I was messing with, then set aside as in, cute, but no real use for it.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

A Pi running OctoPrint is a huge add-on for a 3D printer.
    Forget the LCD you now can access the printer via a browser (there are plug-ins for cell phone access as well).
    You get complete control of the printer and there is even a built-in slicer (although I wouldn't suggest using it).

17. joea

joea Active Member

Well, maybe I'll try that on the Big Box I have sitting on the side. Or. since I still have to print out a box/mount for this LCD, maybe I will rethink it.

But, since I have invested a whole $15.00 (mol) I'd hate for it to go to waste this soon.

Now for a trip down source code lane. I'll start with configuration.h and look for something obvious.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, that is why I left the LCD controllers on when we added the Pi/OctoPrint.
    Doesn't hurt to have it and it is cheap

I haven't done anything with the LCD code in Marlin ... good luck.

19. joea

joea Active Member

It appears to be something with the LCD control. With the USB connected and online with Matter Control, it homes as expected. Using the home function on the LCD control is wacked.

BTW, the freeze of the LCD has not happened again.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member