1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

LCD (or other) control panel. Mainly for filament change.

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by joea, May 2, 2020.

1. joea

joea Active Member

Yep. I see an "echo:enqueing "G28"" when in terminal on MC. Issuing home from MC shows G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Lost in the ozone looking for where to find the LCD home function. Looking over the Marlin links I find they refer to more current versions of Marlin so I do not find some of their references.

Looks like this is way down in rev level. What is involved in updating?

This is what I see in terminal mode: (I left out what I considered extraneous to this discussion to save space)

<-start
    ->Communication State: Connected

<-echo: External Reset
    <-Marlin1.0.0
    <-echo: Last Updated: May 14 2020 11:25:05 | Author: (RoBo 3D, R1 Single Extruder)
    <-Compiled: May 14 2020
    ->M115
    . . .
    <-echo:SD card ok
    <-FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin V1; Sprinter/grbl mashup for gen6 FIRMWARE_URL:https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin/ PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:RoBo3DR1AUTOV4 EXTRUDER_COUNT:1 UUID:00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
    <-ok

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I looked in the marlin source and in ULTRALCD.CPP I see this:

MENU_ITEM(gcode, MSG_AUTO_HOME, PSTR("G28"));

So G28 is sent instead of
    G28 X0 Y0 Z0

You could try changing that.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not that I am clear on why just the G28 would not work :)
    But it is something to try.

4. joea

joea Active Member

I did find that file, I did not see how to drill down at first. Your suggestion worked. I did a search and replace on all the values. I think I saw a mention of "Auto Home" so may experiment a bit more.

Thanks.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. joea

joea Active Member

Another thing. I do not see "Auto Leveling" as a Menu selection on the LCD. For that matter I do not see it in MC either. But it is mentioned in one of those Marling pages, so wondering that the deal is on that. I did not see it first glance on the .cpp file.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I am not sure you can do all of that only from the LCD -- you will probably need a host program connected to get it done.

8. joea

joea Active Member

Cannot be done with version 1.0 of the Marlin firmware. Version 1.1 appears to have the auto leveling stuff in there. After much weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth . . .

I find I am using, for one reason or another a version based on 1.0. Which confused me greatly as it does auto level, apparently but only at the start of each print. I just tried to confirm this by sending a G29 via terminal mode (after an G28 X0 Y0 Z0) and it did, sorta, do a bed level routine.
    . . . .{Edit} some how, it appears my value for X and Y steps has changed. I will look into that.

I am puzzled, still at the Marlin versions that I should, or could, be using.

#28 joea, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You could be using anything up to 2.x
    What you use is your call :)

1.0.x had the basic ABL (what they now call bilinear)
    1.1.x added MESH, UBL and a few other tidbits
    2.x I have no clue because I have not looked at it yet at all.

To me for how I use the printers the firmware is largely irrelevant as long as it is functional. 1.0 works since I do not use autoleveling on mine nor do I worry about any of the other minor features added in 1.1 and have no interest in 2.x either. It is like a toaster to me... if it toasts bread, I am fine with it. I only use them as appliances, but I expect them to work and do not expect to need to fiddle with them when I need to use them.

10. joea

joea Active Member

I kinda feel the same way, but, with new toys, for a while, I get into getting into the innards. It is getting a bit tiresome doing all the digging. Now that I have done the leadscrew, with the LCD tossed in, I'm about done with mods and just want to get on with it.

However, being a glutton for punishment, I'd like to upgrade to the 1.1 Marlin and wondered how to do this, without having to re-invent, or re-enter, the various changes so far. Not that there are that many, but I would rather it be as seamless as possible.

Searching the Robo forums can be like frustration squared. I downloaded the "official" Robo stuff but cannot discern what Marllin they are using. I do know the ultralcd.cpp does not have "AUTO_BED_LEVELING_UB" as does the Marlin 1.1 code I got from github.

Not feeling that childlike sense of wonder and adventure contemplating a lot of trial and error.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

99% of any customizations you do will be contained in a single file: Configuration.H

So when you want to change versions, make sure you replicate the changes you already have in the older configuration.h to the new one.
    I would not suggest overwriting the new one with the old one because sometimes new things are added that can be configured.