1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Extruder Picking Up Print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by WillisBench, May 27, 2020.

1. WillisBench

WillisBench New Member

I've been trying to print some figurines lately and the extruder keeps picking the project up off of the print bed and leaving these globules of hardened filament around the extruder. I was hoping someone had a similar problem and could help me out. Here's some photos attached for reference.

I've noticed on my prints that the taller they get, the edges have a tendency to get curved. I've made sure to level my print bed and calibrate the Z-Axis, Bed Calibration, and Fine Tune Axis in that order. I hope someone's able to help with this problem. Thanks for your time.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

tkoco likes this.
  3. WillisBench

WillisBench New Member

Thanks for a prompt response, Mark. I've run through the calibration wizards (Z Offset, Bed Calibration, and Fine Tune Z Offset in that order) and had solid results. When printing strips and concentric circles, the filament sticks to the bed without problem. I tried to lower my print speed today, but the resulting print ended up with the extruder pushing into the print instead of putting on top of it, warping it at every point. This is a problem I've encountered in the past as well.

I've attached another photo, hopefully this helps, although it's a bit dark with the black filament I'm using.

Attached Files:

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

WillisBench likes this.
  5. WillisBench

WillisBench New Member

This seems like a great jumping off point. Thanks so much for your help.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Just a curiosity question: Which slicing package are you using to create the Gcode for printing?
    (Simplify 3D, Cura, or something else) And what version of that package?

I ask because there are two aspects to getting a model to print: 1) printer calibration (which has already been covered) & 2) software for slicing the model file into Gcode for printing.

7. WillisBench

WillisBench New Member

I'm using Cura for Robo 2.5.0. My most recent print came out somewhat clean, with minimal warping. Maybe I was just using bad schematics.

8. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Thank you for the information. What would be your workflow? Examples:

model - (import) -> Cura (desktop) -> USB stick -> R2 printer
    or
    model -> USB stick -> R2 (using on board Cura engine)

If you are using a desktop version of Cura, That version is very old and lacks the improvements found in the latest desktop version of Cura. If you haven't done so, please read the R2 FAQ.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. WillisBench

WillisBench New Member

I'm downloading the newest version from the website right now. I think this might be a good solution.

Typically, I'll pull a schematic from Thingaverse, import it to Cura for Robo R2, then send it to the printer through the program.

tkoco likes this.