1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Robo 3d R1+ rewired strange issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Miguel Rodriguez, May 31, 2020.

1. Miguel Rodriguez

So I purchased a Robo 3d R1+ from ebay that was for parts and figured I can learn something and get a second Robo 3d R1+in the process. At the time the parts were unavailable from Robo and not available from partsbuilt.com so I purchased 3 ramps 1.4 boards, 3 Arduino Mega 2560 boards, stepper motors, linear bearings, a hexagon hot end and 2 12v 30a universal power supplies from Ebay. I followed all the instructions from the forum about wiring and firmware upload and that is where the strangeness started. I have tried with all 3 Arduino and all 3 ramps boards but after plugging everything in and starting to flash with the Robo firmware the computer makes the usb disconnect sound and I can no longer connect to the board. I end up having to unplug and plug in the board until it finally takes and then the same thing happens when I try to connect to matter control on my tablet PC, desktop or my matter control T7 tablet. The usb will connect then within 1 to 30 seconds it will disconnect even with the plug still in. I should also mention I have tried 4 different cables and 3 different adapters for the tablet. Has anyone seen this before or have any suggestions?

I have learned more than I ever thought I would doing this but after 3 weeks I decided to reach out and get help if any is available.

2. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

Make sure that you're installing the correct version of the firmware.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I don't think he is getting the chance to install anything if it disconnects that quickly.

@Miguel Rodriguez I would suggest you start off by removing the RAMPS from the arduino and then power up and attempt to load the firmware into the Arduino* then (carefully) with the RAMPS disconnected power up the printer and connect to it. Once you do that then use the Arduino IDE to try and load the firmware into the printer. You can't print at this point (obviously) but you want to get the firmware installed.

*and make sure you use the correct firmware. That is NOT your current problem but if you get it up and have used the wrong firmware then it will not print correctly. So start by making sure it is an R1+.

4. Miguel Rodriguez

Thanks for the prompt responses. I have tried that today and I was able to get 2 of the Arduino Mega 2560 boards uploaded with the proper firmware but when i put on the Ramps board it happens again. I have even tried a known good ramps board and the issue persists. I should probably mention I am using the same drivers every time I test even on the known good ramps because they are bran new. Is it possible they are the issue?

5. Miguel Rodriguez

Pics of boards.

Attached Files:

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can prove that by removing the stepper drivers from the RAMPS and then plugging it into the Arduino and powering it up. You won't be able to use it that way but you can see if if powers up and works.

I hate to say this, but the last time I needed to replace a RAMPS board (middle of last year IIRC) I had to buy 4 before I got a working one :(

Since then I started using the all-in-one kits and the RAMPS included in those (so far) have all worked when I tested them.

It is a low cost and low-profit part and there is probably no quality control done on them.

Same is true for the stepper drivers, but mostly those have worked from my experience.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Also make certain that when you add the stepper driver cards -- that they are inserted the correct direction (they can be fit in backwards)

Orientation is important!
    The tuning screw on each stepper driver should be on the FAR end of the driver from the green connectors of the RAMPS shield. If you put your stepper drivers in backwards then you risk frying all of your electronics (well at least the stepper driver and the RAMPS).

The picture I can see the drivers in they look to be inserted correctly, but sanity check that all of them are.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I would suggest that you do with the stepper drivers what I suggested with the arduino and ramps.
    One-at-a-time.

if it works with just the arduino then install the RAMPS (with no drivers)
    if it works with the RAMPS alone then start installing drivers 1 at a time until it fails or they all work

and if that sounds painful remember that you can do all of this "on the bench" without the cards even being installed in the printer. You just need to bring the power cable for the RAMPS out so that you can reach it

9. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

Did you check the servo motors & wiring for shorts? You could unplug one motor at a time to see if the issue persists.

10. Miguel Rodriguez

Sorry for the delay, I have been ill with a stomach bug and had my DaVinci 1.0 AIO crash on me as well. First of all, thank you all so much for your input and quick responses. The culprit seems to have been the drivers. After removing all of them and starting with just the Arduino then the ramps, I was able to install the firmware and after 15 min had no disconnection. I was even able to connect it to Mattercontrol without issue (aside from as psycho thermistor that cannot decide what temp it is)..

11. Miguel Rodriguez

So any suggestions on the drivers I should buy? Looked at Amazon and there are regular, silent , ones with huge heat sinks and ones sold individually......

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If it is an A4988 stepper driver card it will work and they should ALL have heat sinks (some boards come with them loose in the bag and you have to stick them on)

13. Miguel Rodriguez

So I got the drivers in today and installed them one at a time carefully and made sure there was no disconnecting for several minutes after installing each one and now it connects without issue. Now for the fun part, do you have to have a print bed connected to move the motors using the controls in mattercontrol? I tried to get it to home, move x, y, z or extrude (at temp of course) and nothing, I even changed out the cables going to the motors with brand new ones and nothing. I could however get the extruder to heat up and the thermistor started working properly.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I don't have any real experience with MC, but you will need to HOME all of the axis before it will allow other movement normally.
    This is because the only position that the printer firmware actually knows about on each axis is HOME. So step 1 is HOME all axis and then it knows how much it can move on each one. The Y (bed) is going to need to HOME before the others will move. You can manually trip the Y home switch (it is under the bed) if you are just testing.

15. Miguel Rodriguez

Ok, thanks again for everything. I went through 2 sets of drivers, 2 Arduino and 2 ramps boards until I found a good combo. I was able to get all motors, including the extruder motor, working and now just have to buy a new heated bed and print a holder for my Matter-control tablet. I do appreciate everyone's assistance. Rebuild 3d printer checked off my list and now on to build 3d printer from parts is my next project.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sad, but not shocking. The parts are just too inexpensive and there is no one company making them they are made all over Asia.
    Excellent work though :)

It has not gotten better over the years. The first time I had to swap electronics every new part was good, but the last time I went through exactly the same problem you had. Multiple swaps to get a functioning set of boards. It is (or can be) frustrating.