1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved R1+ Heated Bed Issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by TheOneWhoWhelms, Jun 15, 2020.

1. TheOneWhoWhelms

TheOneWhoWhelms New Member

[​IMG]

Hey guys, just curious to know if any of you have dealt with this before. It looks like the connector for the heated bed is somehow either drawing too much (or being given too much) power occasionally and it's causing the connector itself to burn out. It only appears to be that one specific part, you can see it kind of charred in the picture above.

I've replaced this connector twice, thinking maybe something was faulty in the actual plug itself, but does anyone have any ideas as to how this might be fixed?

Everything else on the printer is working fine, it's been almost a month since the last time I replaced this and I've had this unit printing probably 4 out of 7 days per week, about 10 hours a day during that time.

I'm not super competent when it comes to electrical issues so I'm hoping somebody may be able to help educate me on this. Thanks!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The heated bed is likely drawing too much current.
    It is usually a sign of the heated bed starting to fail.
    Either that or you used slightly too small of a connector :)
    Those connectors come with current ratings for either 10amp or 15amp and the heated bed output from the RAMPS is rated at 11amp.
    If you are using the 10amp ones they will wear out.

These are 15 amp.
    https://www.amazon.com/Terminal-Connector-Straight-pin-Pluggable-Skywalking/dp/B00BHU26AO

It is possible that the MOSFET on the RAMPS that drives the bed is getting tired and letting too much current through (cycling too slow) in which case a new RAMPS is the real solution.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Electronics is a vague thing to deal with remotely :)
    Without testing there are usually a few different problems that can give you the same symptoms.

TheOneWhoWhelms likes this.
  4. TheOneWhoWhelms

TheOneWhoWhelms New Member

Good call sir, I ended up replacing the RAMPS board per Geof's instructions, and it actually seems to be working now. I should try to search a bit harder next time before asking a question :)

mark tomlinson likes this.