1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Power Supply

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by wuidling, Jun 16, 2020.

1. wuidling

wuidling Member

After a lot of beginner problems i found the power supply as a reason for some undefinied errors.
    In some cases the printer suddendly makes a shutdown. I checked cables GCode Hotend etc but do not find a solution.

After finding some Mods in this forum i decided to change the Hotend in the future to a E3DV6 compatible one.

First of all i replaced the Thermistor (NTC B3950) and the Heater (24/40W). Checked Temperature and Thermistor with Multimeter (Difference is about 1°-2° /Resistance of the Heater is a little bit lower) and used the original Hexagon.

But if i started a print the R2 made everytime a shutdown. Sometimes during heating with Hotend an Bed or after correct heating when the Extruder or Bed begins to move. I checked this with Pre-Heating in Cura Without Bed Heating and a lower Temperature the Print is succesful. So i checked the Voltage of the Power Supply. I think 23,4 V without the R2 is too low.

Can someone check the Voltage ?

Regards

Excuse my School English !

#1 wuidling, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  2. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

A couple of items to check:
    main power supply - Does it get very hot?
    Voltage going to the Raspberry Pi: What voltage do you read when measuring the 5 volts on the GPIO bus ( relative to ground )?

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The power supply is rated at 24v but I am not sure what you would see if you measured it with everything powered on.
    If it is reading 23.4 without the R2 even plugged in -- yes, that is too low.

4. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

I agree with @mark tomlinson . A well regulated power supply should hold the 24 volt output up to the rated current. Without a load, you should read 24.0 +/- the tolerance ( which should be around 0.1 volts )

5. wuidling

wuidling Member

Voltage

Power Supply cool.
    Will check this with Heating.

Thanks

6. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

The 24 Volt is a tad low. If it drops any lower when you activate the heating of the hot-end and the print bed, I would recommend replacing the power supply. Chalk it up to poor voltage regulation.

Also, check all the connectors for a possible poor connection. ( like 23.47V on one side and 23.0V on the other side of the same connection )

7. wuidling

wuidling Member

Last day a print without heating bed was s successful. Actually the printer stops (complete shutdown and restart) in different cases:

Heating Bed and Extruder or after heating rhe bed or the extruder begins to move.
    Can someone tell me in which cases the R2 makes a complete shutdown ?

I will check with an external 5V power supply if the Raspi (5V) is the cause of all things.

#7 wuidling, Jun 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No, I can't say I have a real clue on the reasons why that would happen -- BUT -- the Pi is a really good suspect.
    If it is rebooting then that is the suspect since that is the component that will reboot (the Arduino / RAMPS control board COULD, but it would be fast enough you might not notice and would not disconnect you).

Geof and wuidling like this.
  9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I had a flaky image that would restart my machine - also a flaky 5v wiring. Right where it connects to the pi was a very odd routing. Found it by slightly pushing on the connector and the machine would restart. Replaced it with a “phone charger” I had laying around (spliced the board side connector on it) and haven’t had an issue since other than the occasional image going bad.
    Hope that’s helpful in troubleshooting on your machine.

tkoco and mark tomlinson like this.
  10. wuidling

wuidling Member

Shame on me !
    After checking the power supply and changing the 40W Heater back to at 30W the problem still exists and so I started from the beginning.

I printed a file from the SD-Card and for my surprise the R2 worked without a problem.
    With starting the print job from Cura the R2 still not worked (Shutdown).
    I repaired the SD Card with the Explorer and now everythings fine.

So I learned:

EIFOK - error in front of keyboard
    Never cut off the AC the hard way !
    Shut down by Menu !

Thanks and Regards.

tkoco and mark tomlinson like this.
  11. wuidling

wuidling Member

Update

After all, i dont think shut down the printer the hard way after printing is the problem, because the problem still exists.
    I tried several cards with the same effect.

The Power Supply is the cause of stopping and shutdown the machine.
    After installing a stronger Power Supply and making an R7B connector everythings fine.

Regards

Excuse my School English.

Attached Files:

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

I am glad that you finally have a resolution to the problem. Intermittent problems are the bane of a technician.

wuidling likes this.