1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Issue with network connection

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Brian Bromsted, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Brian Bromsted

Brian Bromsted New Member

Hi, my company has an R2 that we've been using a few years. We recently got hacked by Ransomware and had a major power outtage in the last few months. This is the first time we're attempting to use it since those events and now I can't get it connected to our network. We connect using a wired ethernet connection and when I check the Network Status on the R2, it says Hotspot mode and the IP address it's displaying does not show up on our network. I can get it to connect to a wifi connection, but the computers that need to connect to the printer aren't on that wifi network.
    Any reason it's not connecting via the wired connection? Could the SD card in Pi have been corrupted with teh power outtage and that is causing the issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Worst case if you need to manually configure the Raspberry Pi -- connect it to the WiFi, then use putty or SSH to connect to the printer (the pi) and configure Raspbian for the LAN.

4. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

With network connectivity, the RoboOS on the Raspberry Pi does not like a router using the 10.x.x.x subnet. The software works on the 192.168.x.x subnet

5. Brian Bromsted

Brian Bromsted New Member

Been on furlough due to COVID-19 and finally getting back to this. I'm still having issues with the R2 connecting via network cable. I tried to disable the wifi like the post that is linked above, but I'm even having issues trying SSH into the R2. I switched the R2 to hotspot mode and connected a laptop with Putty to the hotspot, but every time I try to SSH or Telnet into the R2, I get a connection refused error. Not sure what else to try.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Did you enable SSH in OctoPi?
    By default that is shutoff.

https://makergear.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003074706-Enabling-SSH-Remote-Access

The instructions there are fairly generic. The R2 Raspberry Pi uses the default username and password for the Pi that they have with a default install of the operating system (raspbian). Do not expect the password they mention in that article to work ("Password: your serial number, all letters capitalized") that is not correct.

#6 mark tomlinson, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    tkoco likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I get the security reasons to have it disabled, but if that were a real concern they would have changed the default "pi" user password too :)