1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Looking for suggestions to silent the printer

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by tiagomaricate, Jul 8, 2020.

1. tiagomaricate

tiagomaricate Member

I'd like to put the print in my office.
    But the noise emissions from the fans and drivers don't allow anybody to concentrate.
    I see some printer with almost no noise while printing.
    I was thinking if there is a way to silent swapping the drivers or fans but not sure if is ”simple that way”.
    Any thoughts?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

On an R2 the drivers are not easy to swap since they are integrated into the control board and not socketed.
    The fans are really your only point (well that and the bearings). Noctua branded fans are some of the quietest.

tiagomaricate likes this.
  3. tiagomaricate

tiagomaricate Member

Got it...
    So basically if I change the drivers I have to change the mainboard... or use a bypass (like this one )

I will check these fans.
    R2 is one of the best and most beautiful printers ever.
    ROBO 3D should think about upgrade kits and so on.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

5. tiagomaricate

tiagomaricate Member

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The only printer than Robo is possibly still distributing is the E3 and only to educational markets.

tiagomaricate likes this.
  7. tiagomaricate

tiagomaricate Member

Why? No much selling?
    About the board, does it use merlin? Maybe klippe?
    A friend told me it uses a rasp and an Arduino. Is that correct?

8. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

The replacement board sort of supports dual extruder. It can support the second extruder but not a second extruder heater. I had machined up a dual heater block (drawing below) and sent it to Mark Tomlinson last year for testing. If it works then dual extrusion is possible. If it is possible and there is an interest, I am sure Parstbuilt would make them.

Attached Files:

tiagomaricate and mark tomlinson like this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It works. The caveats are :

1) slower to heat up and stabilize temperature (but not a showstopper)
    2) Both extruders must use the same filament since the temperatures are identical

Neither of those is a real issue if you want to do dual-extrusion on the cheap. I went back to distinct heater blocks and cores on the C2 we tested with since I more often do multi-material and they are at different temperatures.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

For the use-case here where it is going on your modified R2 controller it is a decent approach to getting dual-extrusion and a great way to learn dual-extrusion.

11. Lance Weston

Both T1 the thermistor input needed for the second extruder heater and four servo outputs are on the Ramps 1.4. You would have to change the pins in the ROBOMB.h file and attach an external driver to one of the servo outputs to get full dual extrusion capability. I have posted the code in the past for dual extruder on the R2, it just requires a little tweaking.

Attached Files:

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

In no particular order:

Rubber sheet on the stepper mount

Quieter stepper drivers -> https://learn.watterott.com/silentstepstick/faq/

play with the firmware settings by increasing the microstepping level and step frequency together, while maintaining the same motor speed

13. Denawh1

Denawh1 New Member

I've been using the TENLOG TL-D3 Pro, which is powerful near-end silent printer. I feel these are the best value in 3d printing today. I'm getting gorgeous prints with no discernible z axis wobble or waving in the result, which is an engineering feat given the size of the machine. The mechanics are top notch, but this is not a printer for absolute beginners. It took me some time in tuning, which i enjoy actually.

14. shanghen21

shanghen21 New Member

15. Lance Weston

You can do two things to reduce the noise substantially. Change the steppers x,y from 1.8 degree to 0.9 degree. Change the system board to a Partsbuilt.com board and then use DVR8825 drivers set to 32. Each option increased the smoothness and reduced the noise. It provided me with a much much quieter machine. It did not, however, improve performance.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805213632027.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.15.38d6B9UCB9UCtJ&algo_pvid=b459c0c7-ddc2-4203-a955-4815b35cd3f0&algo_exp_id=b459c0c7-ddc2-4203-a955-4815b35cd3f0-7&pdp_npi=4@dis!USD!18.32!14.66!!!18.32!14.66!@2103248517110177933094422eab64!12000032909174213!sea!US!0!AB&curPageLogUid=d8ZB0rxwZI7n&utparam-url=scene:search|query_from:

Contact jonah@partsbuilt.com for the system board, I no longer see it on his site, But if he allows it I can supply one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CP92T4QR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details