1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo R2/C2 replacement system board now available

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Lance Weston, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

I just got an email from Jonah@Partsbuilt.com. The replacement boards which I have been using/testing for the last few weeks are now available for sale. If you want one I would email Jonah.

These are great boards. You will never have to worry about the 12v for the fans as it is a much more rugged power supply protected by a reset-able fuse. I got and email from Jonah and the temp regulation seems to really good even without replacing the downtown board. The dreaded extruder stepper fail is not a problem because you can easily replace the $2 plugin stepper board.

As far as I can tell the only difference for an R2 between these boards and the original is that it does not support dual extruders and the hotend heatsink fan is always on. The boards are 100% plug and play, but you may have to move some of the wires that went to the original. The Ramps1.4 boards that is used supports higher current and I replaced the existing x,y steppers with higher current larger faster steppers.

All parts on these boards are readily available on eBay, so you never have to worry about electronics failing again.

tiagomaricate and mark tomlinson like this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That was always a plus for the R1 series.
    standard boards, available from anywhere.

3. Lance Weston

You have no idea how happy I am with these boards. The design is rugged and low noise. I have had them a few weeks and running 24/7 on two R2's. I would never go back. It was the last step in making my machines real production machines. I had already replaced all of the mechanically weak parts.

I finally figured out how to get microporus glass working well. The key is to use a hardened steel nozzle and set it high on zoffset then slooowly bring it closer to the glass plate. It can take me an hour for initial setup. Get too close and the PLA will rip the surface right off the glass. Once done, clean with alcohol, spritz a slight amount of hairspray and re-wipe. After printing with a bed at 60C I put in the freezer for 15 minutes. When removed the plates get wet so I just wipe. Every few cycles I go back to alcohol and hairspray. I have now printed 100 identical parts on the same place on the glass with no problems. The R2 is now so reliable that I just oil/clean the rods once a week. My designs use a .4mm chamfer on the surface touching the glass and -0.25mm initial layer horizontal expansion with a 0.2mm initial layer thickness. This pretty much matches the smush of the filament on the first layer leaving a nice edge.

It is such a pleasure to just take a completed print off with no touch up needed.

tkoco and mark tomlinson like this.
  4. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Question about the Raspberry Pi power from the new replacement: Is the voltage low? ( below 5.0 Vdc )

5. Lance Weston

There are two step down 5 amp regulator boards on the system board, both of which are replaceable and adjustable. For me neither is critical. I adjusted to +/- 2%. The 12v has a 1 amp resetable fuse and the 5v has a 5 amp resetable fuse. It would be difficult to damage anything with this setup.

tkoco likes this.
  6. tiagomaricate

tiagomaricate Member

Where can I find it?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

reach out to PartsBuilt.com (use the contact form to send them an email) and see if they have it ready for sale.

tkoco and tiagomaricate like this.
  8. tiagomaricate

tiagomaricate Member

With this board can I replace the drivers? Or do some kind of bypass?

Oh, @mark tomlinson , @tkoco , @WheresWaldo I just managed to clean the SD card, install a fresh Raspian (last version), install a fresh Octoprint (last version) and put the display to work using the OctoScreen. The next step is to check if the old/Robo version of the menu works and customize the OctoScreen changing the interface (I work as interface designer/from end).

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, because it is using the RAMPS which has replaceable stepper drivers.

tiagomaricate likes this.
  10. tiagomaricate

tiagomaricate Member

Random question... why not duet wifi (for instance)?

11. Lance Weston

Will it run the Robo software, does it have the identical serial chip for driver compatibility, are all of the i/o available with the same interrupt capability, can you easily replace and stepper driver, is it 24v compatible, and more importantly why change from the ubiquitous and inexpensive ($22) board in favor of a $180 single source board.

12. tiagomaricate

tiagomaricate Member

hummmm good point... ok you win :D

Also, check this... https://github.com/akaJes/marlin-co...MxLHYba2DKCQkM7hQRODfdOvNsEvgEn-19a74a1ng-scI

I imagine the new board will run the last version of firmware available.
    I managed to put the last raspberry pi and octoprint version on my R2 and installed a new interface for the front screen.
    You can check, test, modify and so on the source from the mSD.

Need advices about marlin upgrade

13. Lance Weston

Can you provide an image for an SD card.

The new Partsbuilt board functions identically to the Robo board with a couple of exceptions. It is not meant to be dual extrusion, though it can be made to do that with an external driver for the second hotend. The hotend cooling fan is always on. You can unplug the existing R2 board and use the same connectors on the Partsbuilt board. The Partsbuilt board power supplies are more rugged and have resettable fused outputs to protect them from shorts. The stepper drivers are replaceable and adjustable to allow higher current steppers.

There are minor software changes to accommodate the different IO used on the Ramps.

I have posted software versions that added a table for the Chinese 3950 thermistor used on the bed and on the cheapie V5 and V6 hotends from China. I also modified the code to independently set the smoothing factor for hotend and bed. I change the PID tuner temps for the bed and the hotend for better tuning.

14. tiagomaricate

tiagomaricate Member

This is interesting...
    I compiled a version of Marlin 2.x but is not perfect yet. Actually I'm having some problems to setup all the pins correctly but is possible.

Here... 3,5gb. I'm using a 16gb card.
    But it has last version of octoprint and raspberry and a new interface for front screen.
    Just replace de mSD card for this one and you are ready.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qw6jwmskbixhlfe/backup.disk.img.dd.gz?dl=0

• SSH and VNC enabled
    • you need to change the regional setting from raspberry using the command "raspi-config"
    • due I'm doing several changes and tests with Marlin firmware, maybe some buttons from the front panel could be inverted. You can easily change/customize everything from the settings panel of OctoScreen plugin
    To access Octoprint use the URL robo-r2.local

RaspberryPI
    login: pi
    pass: raspberry

Octoprint
    login: Robo
    pass: R2

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. Lance Weston

On my current R2's I do not have to log in. They is hardwired to a 24 port ethernet switch as all devices in my home are.. I just put their ethernet address in my browser and I am good to go. Will this work the same?

16. tiagomaricate

tiagomaricate Member

Yes, exactly the same.
    The only difference is to access the octoprint control panel it will ask you to enter those login above.
    After login you can disable it if you wish and access without the need of user/pass.
    I enabled this feature to improve the security in case of access the printer outside my network.

17. Lance Weston

The file uses .gz compression which I can not open, what program do I have to get? Dropbox requires giving access to all of my contacts which I really do not like, I used it but will delete dropbox.

18. tiagomaricate

tiagomaricate Member

I used the terminal from MacOs to extract the img rom card and compact it.
    I know winrar and 7zip are compatible with gz extension.
    I can upload to another host. I'm checking on my dropbox settings if is possible to let the file public.

19. tiagomaricate

tiagomaricate Member

I did a test here to extract the file as on windows.
    After extract .gz you will have a 16gb file. This is due I'm using a 16gb card and made a raw image of the card.
    Now you can open this file or extract it directly on an sd card.
    In case if you use an 8gb card, you can mount a virtual drive using the 16gb image and copy files from there.

https://superuser.com/questions/748401/how-to-unpack-dd-file-on-windows