1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Weird Layer Discrepancies

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jake Ciasca, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

I messed around with the flow in the slicer i used changing it from 95% to 100% to 105% and finally 110% thinking this was an under extrusion problem but it was not and I am stumped as to why this is occurring on my print, here is a picture of the model and the discrepancies I am talking about.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

Yes this is PLA and I have not tried seasoning the nozzle and I have no idea what that means so I will check the link you sent me and see if that fixes this.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It won't hurt :)
    I just use an oiler on all my FDM printers (because if it is not PLA it doesn't hurt).
    But seasoning it every so often will help without the oiler

5. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

How do you season the hotend, I couldn't seem to find anything in the previous link about how to season the hotend.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. nibs210

nibs210 New Member

I've had pretty similar layer discrepancies like that with badly made filament or a reel that's been sitting out absorbing moisture for too long. A good way to tell if the filament has gone bad is to let your printer just extrude for a bit and listen closely. if you hear snapping and crackling (sounds a lot like rice crispies if you've ever had those) that measn there's moisture and bubbling as the filament melts, which show up as those short gaps in the printer's toolpath when it's printing. If the nozzle seasoning doesn't fix the problem, might want to look into getting higher quality filament.