1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved E3D V6 in a Robo3D R1+ is having weird extrusion issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by nibs210, Jul 12, 2020.

1. nibs210

nibs210 New Member

Seems i've finally run into a problem big enough to make an account here and not just rely on /r/3d_printing for a quick fix. I got an old, beat up robo3D r1+. Swapped the original Robo extruder out for the e3D V6 a year or so ago, haven't had too many problems, but now with some new filament i'm getting this:
    photo_2020-07-12_11-56-17.jpg photo_2020-07-10_16-39-00.jpg photo_2020-07-12_11-56-17 (2).jpg photo_2020-07-10_15-17-03.jpg

It seems to be a symptom of too much heat, because when i went to cancel one of the prints i reached in and squeezed the half printed piece and it was hot enough to be soft to the touch at least 50 layers down. it's in an acrylic Enclosure to retain heat, i'm using mattercontrol as a slicer, and these are the relevant heat specs that I think are causing this:

Filament: PLA
    Heat Setting: extruder=200C, bed: 55C
    Retraction distance: 3 mm, (Z-list is 0.5mm)
    Speed: 50-60 mm/s

Thanks!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If too much heat is your issue there are a couple of things to try...

1) Print a temperature tower and see how low you can go. Each printer / environment is different. My E3D volcano on an R1 chassis prints PLA at about 180c (some spools are 185 and some 175). On the other hand, I have others with standard E3D and even one with a Hexagon and those are a bit different and like it better at 190c (and I have a non-Robo delta that needs PLA at 220c)
    2) Check your cooling -- the parts cooling fan. Make sure it is still working well and actually doing its job -- get it at 100% above the first few layers (again this is PLA specific)
    3) If possible remove the enclosure for PLA. Other filaments like ABS or some nylons really want an enclosure, but PLA is usually better off without it.

3. nibs210

nibs210 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply! unfortunately the spam bot didn't like my longer first post and made me delete some important info. I'll look into the temperature tower thing, since i've only vaguely heard of them, never tried one. as for point two, the part cooling fan has actually been busted for about 5 years now, and i haven't had any cooling problems so far so i didn't even think of that. And point three is definitely not gonna happen. this is a dorm room printer, and the enclosure has become a bit... embedded in my workbench:
    photo_2020-07-13_13-08-34.jpg

so i'll give the more severe temperature drop a try and report back. mattercontrol is already yelling at me about hardware errors and cold extrudion just bringing it down to 185, so it looks like i got some overrides to hunt down..

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The default lowest temperature the Marlin version from Robo allowed was 190 (which -- is dumb, something like 170 would be more reasonable). So to fix that you will need to edit and reload the firmware.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

In the stock Marlin CONFIGURATION.H the default is:

#define EXTRUDE_MINTEMP 190

and I use:

#define EXTRUDE_MINTEMP 170

6. nibs210

nibs210 New Member

i've found that and fixed it in the configuration.h file, but it doesn't look like it made it to the printer. i'm also using a stripped down windows tablet running mattercontrol as the control panel for the printer, seperate from my main computer where i export the gcode to the printer's SD card. do both versions of mattercontrol need to have this update to the config file?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This only affects the printer -- not matter control however, you may need to reset the flash EPROM to get the new firmware to be used:
    M500 - store current settings in EEPROM for the next startup or M501.
    M501 - read all parameters from EEPROM, or undo changes.
    M502 - Reset current settings to defaults, as set in Configurations.h - follow with M500 to reset the EEPROM.
    M503 - Print the current settings – ‘‘Not the settings stored in EEPROM.’’

So to reload the new firmware from the EPROM into the flash ram you need to do an M502 (in the gcode terminal while connected to the printer)

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I know it can seem a bit confusing :)
    The FLASH EPROM was mean to make things easier (because you could override firmware settings "on the fly").

I never use it myself.