1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Getting started with a new to me R2

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Mechman95, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Mechman95

Mechman95 New Member

I recently picked up an r2 for pretty cheap because it was missing a couple of pieces. To my knowledge the only pieces missing are the power adapter, nozzle, and a print bed leveler nob. Since it cant be powered on yet im assuming that the electrical components are good but we shall see. I would like to know based on the pictures if there is anything else glaringly obvious missing. This is my first time with this machine so I am not 100% sure what should be there.
    https://imgur.com/a/tVKz2qh

#1 Mechman95, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2020
  2. Mechman95

Mechman95 New Member

Also new poster so i couldnt give a link without messing with it first to get past the filter.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Mechman95 likes this.
  4. Mechman95

Mechman95 New Member

Awesome thank you. And yeah ive got an open cart with them that has the power supply, a nozzle, the plate level kit of two and some filament to test. Did everything else look to be whole? And is there anything I would need software wise to get started that I cant find on the software support page? Just want to make sure there wasnt a thumb drive with drivers that normally comes in the box if I had bought this new. Also Thank you and everyone else that stays active in this forum. When I learned the r2 has basically been dropped by ROBO I was worried that I dug myself a deep hole by picking up this machine to work on.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I don't have an R2 myself to compare to, but look over the docs (https://help.robo3d.com/hc/en-us/categories/115000096051-Robo-R2) particularly the Getting Started and Troubleshooting sections.

You don't need any drivers for any of the R1/R1+/R2/C2 other than the Arduino drivers which you can download from Arduino.cc if your OS doesn't just handle it.

The R2/C2 use OctoPrint installed on the printer itself so if you just type in the printer IP address as your URL you should be able to access it for printing as well as any of the other slicers/host programs out there.

Mechman95 likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Generally with OctoPrint (or AstroPrint) I slice the STL on a computer and then upload the gcode to the printer/OctoPrint for printing.
    I really like OctoPrint and have it installed on a RaspberryPi in front of each of my other printers as well. It is really easy to use.

Mechman95 likes this.
  7. Mechman95

Mechman95 New Member

Thank you very much for all of that I will get to work.

8. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

R2 Octoprint uses an old version of Cura as the slicing engine. The most efficient method is to use the latest desktop version of Cura or Simplify 3D to slice the model and then pass the result to the R2 Octoprint Interface for printing. Details can be found in the R2 FAQ.

Mechman95 and mark tomlinson like this.