1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Replacing bushing covers on x/y axis rods

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by adikted2astro, Nov 19, 2019.

1. albert3d

albert3d Member

4 bearings or 4 sets? Looks like they have 6 sets of 4 for the 6mm ones.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

I scrolled down and read that one unit consists of 4 bearings. I was under the impression that they were charging per bearing. But you are right. At the bottom of the page, they say that one package has 4 bearings in it. I did not see that yesterday. In that case, then hell yes I'm going to buy some.

But it'll be a month before I get them from China. I couldn't find any from inside the US.

albert3d and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. adikted2astro

Got my package of 4 sleeve bushings a couple of days ago. Took about 3 weeks to arrive but they are perfectly sized and should work well at replacing those linear bearings. However, I do not plan on replacing them anytime soon. You guys should see the prints I have been making since my last overhaul. My god, they are gorgeous and look better than the prints I've seen coming out of a $30,000 machine (no joke, no exaggerations, pure glory) :)

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep, when they are tuned up and running the C2/R2 make pretty, pretty music (and really nice prints).
    Other than my SLA/DLP machines they are the go-to for high quality.

5. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Would you mind writing up a project for replacing the bearings?

6. adikted2astro

Hmmm, I can try. The only problem with that is that I didn't take any pictures; no step-by-step ones anyway. I'll see what I have in my phone and figure out if I can do it or not. I can certainly write about what I did, but it does kinda suck without pictures.

7. adikted2astro

Are you talking about the bushings and bushing blocks, or do you mean the linear bearings on the pritn head?

If it's the former, all I can do is write about it. If it's the latter, I will make sure to take plenty of pics. However, replacing those linear bearings in the print head, while not easy, is pretty straightforward.

#27 adikted2astro, Dec 21, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  8. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

A write up will be fine. As much details as possible. From the postings in this thread, it sounds like a worthwhile endeavor.

9. RoboticsRob

RoboticsRob Member

How did the replacements for the linear bearings work out? I'm thinking of replacing all the bushings/bearings in my R2's.

10. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

I have been running 30mm long bushings for a over a year on 3 R2 machines, it works fine ( I do not use Robo bushing blocks). The machines run 24/7 and I see no reason to replace the bearings because of wear. The problem is that the shorter bushings will probably have to be glued in so that they do not slide. Do not worry about realignment it is very easy once you print out a few of the plastic tool, or if you saved the orange shipping clips they work perfectly.

I have posted a set of spacers for the R2 and you should print them out. The spacers are imprinted with their location making reassembly easier. There are two shim washers where the gear meets the flange bearing and you should be careful not to misplace them.

It sounds like the shim spring in the bottom of the stepper is broken. The spring takes out all of the vertical play.

11. RoboticsRob

RoboticsRob Member

Which bushing blocks are you running on yours? I hadn't thought about the bushings much, but I have changed a few of the linear bearings. Inspecting the bushings, I definitely need to replace some of them.

12. Lance Weston

13. RoboticsRob

RoboticsRob Member

I hadn't realized there were spring tensioners inside those bushing blocks on the stock R2. Hadn't gotten around to taking them apart.

Now I've got to change them out, as some of the issues I've been running into could easily be attributed to that. Not looking forward to rebuilding the bushing blocks for 9 R2's and replacing all the linear bearings in the print heads.... at least I was going to be pulling all the print head assemblies apart to fix that filament path.

14. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Do yourself a favor and use quality bearings. They will last forever.

15. Lance Weston

My bushing blocks do not have the springs. I use open loop belting. I felt the springs could add artifacts during acceleration and deceleration. My bushing blocks are strong, will never break, and the 6mm rods are clamped into place on only one side. The rods will never drift, but since the clamping is only on one side, the 6mm rods will not bind as they will slide in and out of the blocks the slight amount of change in distance between the 8mm rods during full travel. The 6mm rods are not held at just a point on the blocks, they pass through a 10mm long sleeve bearing which will last much longer than the plastic snap holding them now. The 8mm sleeve bearings are cheap an ubiquitous. The 6mm sleeve bearing are cheap but take awhile to get.

PDtech rods are the best I have found. PDtech rods always slide through the 8mm bearings with just the right fit, making assembly much easier. The 8mm flange bearings come in a range of qualities; I purchased motor quality bearings which seem to be holding up better than the cheap ones. I do not know which brand they are selling, but the 8mm linear bearings that I get from Partsbuilt.com have given me no problems.

16. RoboticsRob

RoboticsRob Member

Yeah I was looking at getting the replacement LM6UU bearings for the print head from Parts Built, they're THK, which I do believe is a good quality bearing. I saw the Graphite Plug bushings though that someone had posted, but I haven't found anything that ships from the US. Not looking to wait 6 weeks for them.

Similarly on the bushing blocks, I'd like to get something high quality that won't need any additional attention for a couple years, but I'm having a little bit of a hard time figuring out exactly which bushings/bearings to get for your upgraded bushing blocks, as most the ebay links are dead in the original post about them. Thanks!

17. Lance Weston

These came in fast: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32878393601.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.37de4c4dENSg3k

18. RoboticsRob

RoboticsRob Member

19. Lance Weston

The Robo bushing holders use 8x12x36 mm sleeve bearings. I use the common size 8x11x30 mm in my bushing holders.

20. RoboticsRob

RoboticsRob Member

Ooh. Alright got it! Thanks for the clarification.