1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How to replace the glass on a flexplate

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Lance Weston, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

It is fairly easy to change the glass on a flexplate. Start with a small screwdriver and taps it into an edge. Starting from one edge tap a large screwdriver into the gap. Work your way across the plate adding screwdrivers. After getting screwdrivers across the length of the plate start tapping them down keeping them all at the same depth. After you have gradually tapped them down until they all reach the bottom remove the metal plate. Peel off whatever you can and use paint thinner to remove the rest of the glue.

I grind off the the metal extending past the plate so that I can rotate the plate as I wear out the glass. I print the same part on the same place on the glass continually until the glass fails, then I rotate the glass. I get in the neighborhood of100 pieces before failure.

Attached Files:

2. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Acetone ( Finger Nail Polish Remover - the pure stuff - i.e. 100% acetone ) also works well in removing glue.

3. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

I have a gallon of Acetone, but it is more expensive and does not work any better. Olive oil also works just takes a little longer. I have replaced quite a few glass plates. They are not all equal. I got some where the raised pattern on the glass adhered to the glass but what is not raised came right off. It left mottled shiny spots on the plastic where the plastic adhered to the glass plate. It was not functionally any different, but for me appearance is important.