1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Power Supply Fan Whine

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Echoshard, Jul 4, 2017.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

He is NOT impossible to reach, give it a shot.

2. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

He says Robo knows they have issues with their print texture. Robo claims it resisters for the steppers. How is that resolved? New board?

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I can't see any other solution given the proprietary board with all integrated, non-adjustable drivers.

Geof likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The all-integrated, non-adjustable bit is nice when it all works :)

Geof likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I dont want to be "that guy" but for whatever reason these you tube people have a large (or small) group of people that watch and listen to their every word. Regardless of if they know or dont know what they are doing, experience level etc. Due to this ALOT of OEM send them free stuff and keep them informed way more than we (the users) ever will be. Its unfortunate but its just the way it is :D I'd suggest calling Robo and asking for these things to be sent and continue to ask for a manager until you get an acceptable answer (if you dont get one out of the gate). I understand the frustration and dont mean to seem like I'm defending (I'm not) just explaining my point of view :D

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

While I have always said when you pay for a new printer you deserve a working one out of the box, with the R2 you paid a bit of a premium and really deserve a working printer :)

Geof and WheresWaldo like this.
  7. Peer Geisendorf

Peer Geisendorf New Member

Hey, can you tell me what kind of fan would be a good replacement? I opend the power supply as well, but couldn‘t find any information like voltage on the fan.
    Best
    Peer

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The R2 uses a 24vdc power supply so it is likely a 24vdc fan.

9. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Actually, the main board steps down the voltage for the fans to 12 volts. The 24 Volt power drives the hot-end heater and print bed heater.
    If the fan noise is a bit too much, @Lance Weston located a source for dual ball-bearing, 12 volt fans. Those fans should be quieter.

10. RoboticsRob

RoboticsRob Member

The fans on the extruder are 12v, but the power supply's internal fan is 24v. I've replaced a few of mine a couple months ago with new 24v winsinn fans off of amazon, working great since.

This is only for the original power brick which has a fan in it, the later meanwell units do not use a fan.

11. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Nice to know about the fans of the power supply. I was referring to the internal fans of the printer ( like the ones at the hot-end ), not the power supply.