1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Outer wall 'delaminations'

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by RoboticsRob, Oct 23, 2020.

1. RoboticsRob

RoboticsRob Member

I'm not quite sure what to call this defect, but its been giving me a hard time for the past few months on my R2's. Best way I can describe it is a 'delamination' while printing the outer wall, and the filament doesn't stick in a small spot. (photo attached)

No consistency or repeatability to this defect either, though it seems to happen about once every 3 or 4 hours of print time. It happens on multiple models, with outer wall speeds between 20mm/s and 80mm/s. I'll run the same part and every 3rd or 4th part made on the same machine, same gcode, same filament, will show this defect.

Filament: Polymaker Polylite PETG (observed in all colors)
    Filament: 3D Universe PETG (observed in all colors)
    Slicers: Seen this in both Cura 4.6.x, 4.7.x, 4.8.0 beta, and Simplify3D 4.1.2

Any ideas? Much appreciated, thanks.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I would suggest slowing down the print speed a bit.

Usually I point people to the 3 visual troubleshooting guides, but I don't see this sort of issue there :)

Unless those gaps are at the start/end of a layer the guides are not going to be able to help.

That leave the possibility that you are getting sporadic under extrusion... so try slowing the overall print speed down and see if that helps. Start with maybe a 10% reduction and try as far down as 30% -- if there is no improvement in that range then more wouldn't help.

3. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

4. RoboticsRob

RoboticsRob Member

I'm going to spend some time doing some testing at different speeds, though the above part showing the defect was printed with a volumetric flow rate of only ~6 mm^3/s, which the hexagon should be able to maintain.

I think it may be the total volume of plastic I'm pushing though, as I observed the temperature on some infill printed at ~9mm^3/s drop 5C vs the walls which were printed slower, so I could be right up against the limits of the hexagon's stock 24v heater.

Also worth mentioning I've swapped to copper nozzles, which have fantastic heat transfer properties, and thus necessitated my dropping the fan speed even further, which I now run at 25% (I do have the improved cooling baffles installed).

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I use 40w heater cores in all of the extruders we have. They are standard (i.e. fit any hotend) and can be had in 12v or 24v variety.