1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Hotend Assembly

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by 4sfaloth, Oct 31, 2020.

1. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

Hi all,

I am having midprint hotend thermistor errors (temperature fell too much during print blablabla).

For now I just intended to make sure the thermistor is well placed inside the heat core, and then replace the thermistor if the problem persists. I have removed the termistor from the hotend, but I now seem unable to secure it back in place. All the tutorials I've seen simply put the thermistor all the way inside and then tighten (typically with a warning not to overtighten) the small screw that should secure it in place. Thing is: even if I tighten the screw and the way that I can it still only makes a very small resistance on the thermistor. I can feel it's being gripped somehow, but I pull with just a bit of force or if I shake the hotend it will fall ok.

Is this normal? I realize the thermisstor previously had some kind of white pasty glue, do I need that to reassemble it?

Thanks in advance

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

Hi Mark, thanks for stepping in once again.

I've tried securing the thermistor with kapton tape, but it still failed. Either it was not secure enough, or that is not the problem I guess

I'll see if I can buy some thermal paste and give that a try.

But before that just so I understand: is it normal for the thermistor to fall off if secured only by the screw? Shouldn't the screw be enough to hold it in place?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The grub screw should be more than enough to hold the canister in place, if it is not then either the threads are perhaps dirty/damaged of the canister is deformed slightly.

5. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

Hum... Should I try to tighten it when heated perhaps then?

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That may help -- worth a shot.