1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Bad Prints, need help!!!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Brandon Hines, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Brandon Hines

Brandon Hines New Member

Hey all,

I've had the C2 for a few years now and it appears my prints are getting worse. I'm not sure if I jacked up settings in the profile or if my PLA is wet. Here are some prints I must did with PLA for my quadcopter. Please let me know if you see anything that you can visibly see is wrong.

IMG_0632.jpg IMG_0629.jpg IMG_0628.jpg IMG_0626.jpg

2. Thomas

Thomas Member

How old is the filament you used there? Was the filament open and exposed to air a long time before printing? How did you keep it stored. Filament over time absorbs moisture from the air. My first impression was it looks like old filament that contained moisture. First, if were me, I would rule that out and get some fresh filament. I’d try to use the same type, color, and brand and reprint the object with the same slicer settings and re-eval from there. Perhaps someone else notices existing underlying machine issues but that was my first thought based on having experienced similar when i tried to use an old spool once. Has that gritty look to it overall that resembled what I remember with that issue. Just because you think or feel the room you store in is dry doesn’t mean it is. Get a simple battery operated humidity and room temp monitor. You can find them at various price ranges at cigar shops. Don’t need the fancy ones a basic cheap one will do fine. The kind you place in a humidor box. I keep a few around where I store my filament as well as one near every printer I own. Helpful to notice the fluctuations as seasons or weather changes and how you heat or cool home. Consider where you keep your filament and printers in relation to air flow in your space. There are lots of room dehumidifier options and even filament dehumidification methods. Best route is prevention. You may have printer issues as well but again this was my first thought. Hope you sort it out. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brandon Hines likes this.
  3. Brandon Hines

Brandon Hines New Member

Thanks Thomas, I will definitely do that. It was open or either put back in the box that it came in but not sealed. I think it's likely bad filament as well. I bought some rechargeable silica beads and will build a filament box soon. Maybe I'll post it here when done.

Thomas likes this.
  4. Thomas

Thomas Member

From the looks of it that filament might very well be too far gone to salvage but your plan will certainly be useful for keeping any future materials dry. If you can afford to I’d give a brand new spool a go before trying to raise what you got there back to life. At least then you can be sure it’s not your machine and simply just the filament. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Brandon Hines

Brandon Hines New Member

Agreed. My thought was to build a dry box to prevent this from happening in the future.

mark tomlinson and Thomas like this.