1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Ive got a major z axis problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Sergio8849, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Sergio8849

Sergio8849 New Member

So ive finally gotten my 3D printer up and running and just finished wiring in my extruder. My pc found the printer and finally gave me an option to print the calibration circle. BUT THE DARN THINGS Z AXIS IS WAYY OFF. Also the printer seems to keep running too far on the x axis somtimes and just makes that super loud vibration noise. If someone knows how I should approach this problem, please and I mean PLEASE let me know

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2. Rod Smith

Rod Smith Member

If by "THE DARN THINGS Z AXIS IS WAYY OFF" you mean that the printer is trying to print the first layer way up in the air or gouging it into the print bed, then that's a matter of setting the Z offset. This can be adjusted with the M565 g-code command. You'll need to experiment with it (setting various offsets with the Z option, as in "M565 Z-1.1", adjusting the "-1.1" part up or down as necessary) to get it right. Set this command in the start g-code produced by your slicer or issue it between prints and then save the result with M500. I thought there was a FAQ thread on this site that covered this issue, but I couldn't find it. I did find this thread on the topic, so perhaps that will help.

As to the noises and inconsistent X-axis movement, that could be caused by a loose or damaged X-axis wire. I suggest you check the connections on both ends -- at the X-axis stepper motor (you may need to remove the top cover for better access) and at the control board (you'll have to turn the printer on its side and remove the bottom; each axis input is marked on the control board). If both ends are secure, you may have to replace the wire, which will be a bit of a pain, so you might try other suggestions before replacing the wire. In fact, I suppose a bad or poorly adjusted stepper driver might account for these symptoms, too. Here's a page on adjusting stepper driver current. A stock Robo3D R1+ uses what that page calls manual current control.

Sergio8849 likes this.
  3. Sergio8849

Sergio8849 New Member

Thank you so much Rod Smith, but where would I put in the G code? Im still super new so I dont know if I wanna go with MatterControl or repitear.

4. Rod Smith

Rod Smith Member

Most slicers offer an option to set the start g-code, which is sent at the beginning of each print. My version of MatterControl is pretty old (version 1.7.5), since I've long since stopped using it; but it's under View->Settings; then select Printer and Custom G-Code. There will be a panel marked Start G-Code; enter the M565 command there and observe the results. There should be a similar option somewhere with just about any slicer. Try a Web search on "slicername start g-code" to find directions on where to set it. If the printing is happening too high, adjust the M565 value down (more negative, most likely); if it's printing too low, then increase the value up (less negative, most likely). If it's very badly off, you might need to adjust it by 0.5 (mm) or more; but changes of 0.02 (mm) or so can have a significant impact on printability, so it may take a while to fine-tune this. Mine is currently set to -1.02, but this is using a different control board and firmware, so it may be measured in a different way and therefore not very relevant. My very old MatterControl configuration had a value of -1.35, but I don't recall if that was working well or not. A tip: Try using MatterControl (or Pronterface or whatever) to home the printer (via a G28 command), then try to slide a piece of paper under the nozzle of the printhead. If the Z offset is correct, you should be able to feel just a little resistance with the paper. If you can't fit the paper under the nozzle because it's so close to the bed, then the Z offset is too close, and if the paper moves without any resistance, then the Z offset is too far. You can type a new M565 command at the console, re-home, and try again until the paper feels just a little resistance. This approach is likely to be quicker than trying to adjust it in the start g-code and printing -- but you'll need to either type M500 to save it to memory or set the value in the slicer's start g-code. (The latter will override the former on a per-print basis.)

Unfortunately, the Robo3D R1+'s bed probe isn't all that precise, so the optimum can vary from one print to another. This can be very annoying. Many 3D printer owners use LCD control panels, which enable adjusting this value mid-print. This should be possible with a live USB connection to the printer, too, but I've never gone very far with doing that, so I can't offer much guidance on how to do that.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

More negative is further from the bed, less negative is closer to the bed (in an ideal world) :)

6. Sergio8849

Sergio8849 New Member

Figured seeing it would make it easier then me explaining it

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

From the picture that is not even an R1 -- that is a beta. No autoleveling by default. You have to manually level the bed.
    That single Z home switch on the bottom of the rod you pointed to is the give away. The R1 has two Z home switches on the smooth rods right where the X crossbar is. That one single Z switch is a beta.

I do not see your screw/thread that comes down onto that Z switch to signal Z home. This picture shows the threaded rod that I am talking about -- it has to line up so that it trips that switch when the Z is home.

http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...ter-firmware-update-not-limit-switches.18707/

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I suspect your problem is that the Z home switch is not working/configured correctly. It needs to be working and then you can manually level the bed as best you can. If you want to and are motivated you can add autoleveling by relocating the Z switch and adding a second one, the parts for the mounts they use are on thingiverse (and if you can't print them I can and mail them to you). Then you can update the firmware to the R1 series and use autoleveling.

9. Sergio8849

Sergio8849 New Member

If i were to add auto bed leveling, would I also need to do that other fix you were talking about? Also if you could send those to me, Ill pay you for it

10. Rod Smith

Rod Smith Member

OK, I see several issues here, some of which are more serious than others:
    • It seems as if your X endstop is not triggering, or is triggering late, resulting in that horrible grinding noise when the printer tries to home the X axis. This could be caused by a bum switch, bad wiring, or something else.
    • There are some wires hanging below the hotend's nozzle. Once you get the printer actually printing, these will end up dragging across your print, damaging it. Find some way to get these wires up above the bottom of the nozzle. One way might relate to the next point....
    • You've got what looks like an E3D V6 hotend cooling fan mounted weirdly in front of the hotend assembly pointing straight down (or up). I suspect the intent is that this work as a print cooling fan, but it's a very poor position for that. There are lots of designs on Thingiverse for more sensible print cooling fan ducts. It's not critical that you fix this right away, although if the hanging wires connect to the fan, removing it will also fix that problem.
    • The main question about which you're posting is the print head moving up when you try to start a print. On an R1+ model, this would most likely be caused by a Z-probe/Z-limit switch activating prematurely. There are two of these switches in the R1+, one on each side of the X-axis gantry, near the Z lead screws. I had problems with this on my printer because the two Z axes would get out of sync with one another, causing the X-axis gantry to tilt, and therefore causing one or the other of the switches to trigger when the printer tried to probe the bed. The short-term solution was to turn off the printer (or disable the motors) and turn one of the lead screws to make the X gantry parallel to the bed. The long-term solution was to replace the limited 8-bit control board with a better one that supports auto-leveling the X-axis gantry. (I believe there's a feature in Marlin 2.x that would enable doing this without a motherboard swap, but I dislike Marlin enough that I didn't look into this in any detail.) All this said, it looks like you've got an R1, not an R1+, and I don't recall offhand if the R1 has the same sort of bed probing that the R1+ does. Thus, it could be there's some entirely different cause. Even if your printer has the same sort of bed probing as mine, it could be that the cause is different in your case. As with the X-axis grinding, for instance, it could be that a switch or wire is bad.
    As a sort of meta-comment, it might be worth opening the printer up (turning it on its side and taking off the bottom panel) so that you can examine where all the wires converge on the motherboard. Given that you've got at least a couple of problems that could be caused by wiring issues, it's conceivable that some wires have worked loose from the motherboard, so you might need to re-connect them. Note that one wire connects to a cooling fan in the case's bottom, so you'll have to remove that to fully remove the case bottom. Don't just yank the bottom away once it's unscrewed; pull it out gently until you can unplug that fan's wire.

Also, this problem has nothing to do with setting the Z offset, as I suggested you check in an earlier response. That sort of problem can result in the printer printing a fraction of a millimeter up to a millimeter or two away from the bed, but it's not likely to be up several centimeters from the bed, especially not when you've set a Z offset of -0.1 in your start g-code, if I caught that correctly.

11. Sergio8849

Sergio8849 New Member

Jesus, if it has That many problems, i might as well just sell it

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

All you would need to cover is postage.

@Rod Smith has some good points, but likely is not familiar with the beta :) It is totally different from the R1+ in terms of what endstops exist and how they are mounted. It looks the same externally, but it is not the same electrically. There is no Z offset to set in Gcode because it has no autoleveling. You need to use the screw adjustment and the switch I mentioned (that you pointed out in your video) to adjust the Z offset and it is global -- you pick one point and set it.

You can level the bed but it must be done manually with shims under the bed itself. You need to do that to get it close to flat, but get it working first...it should home when the Z home switch is sorted

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Also if you have at any point reloaded the firmware... make sure you reloaded the beta firmware otherwise it will not work correctly. R1 nor R1+ firmware will work unless you modify the hardware (Z switches mainly, but the Z steps are totally different too because the threaded rods are a different thread)

Honestly it is a simpler machine and we can help you get it going.

14. Rod Smith

Rod Smith Member

Most of those problems are easily resolved. Aligning the X-axis gantry (if that's what's causing the failure) takes but a few seconds, and that's your biggest immediate problem. Fixing the X endstop may take some more sleuthing, but the actual fix will probably be very simple. The fan is more of a weirdness than a problem, and moving the wires up above the print nozzle will take just a few seconds and a twist-tie.

One thing to keep in mind is that 3D printers, at least at the price point of the Robo3D R1 series, aren't appliances like cell phones, 2D printers, or toasters; they don't "just work." Instead, you're buying a hobby. 3D printers require careful calibration and they break frequently, thus necessitating TLC to get working again. To be sure, some are better than others. I gather that Prusa machines are pretty reliable, but I've never owned one and so can't comment from personal experience -- and the Prusa i3 Mk3S+, which is closest to the Robo3D R1 in size and design, cost $749 as a kit or $999 pre-assembled. Even new, the R1+ was only about $500. There's some truth to the adage that you get what you pay for.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Oh, and the Z endstops are inverted on the R1/R1+ and not on the beta. So yet another reason to be certain you use the correct firmware if you need to reload it.

Prusa makes really solid machines, bit honestly none of the consumer priced 3D printers are wildly different in terms of quality or construction. SOme are different styles (gantry, versus cartesian versus CoreXY, delta, etc.) they still all largely work the same.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Make sure you have the Z switch engaging. Take a picture of that switch with the X crossbar closer down to the bed.
    You can manually turn the threaded rods with the power off to bring the crossbar up or down manually (it is tedious, but it works)

17. Sergio8849

Sergio8849 New Member

So what should be my approach, or in better words what should be my resolve checklist?

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

make sure that the Z switch is engaging. I suspect the answer is "no" but take a video of it trying to do a home (G28 gcode) ....
    get me that picture of the Z home switch and the screw that is supposed to trigger it :) We can go from there.

If it is completely misbehaving I would have you reload the beta firmware in case it was incorrectly loaded with R1 firmware at some point

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sorting one thing at a time is the more correct way :)

Rod Smith likes this.
  20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and it might be easier to work on it with the top removed (just throwing that out there). I run a few without it on a day-to-day basis, not a problem and makes it easier to work on. I happen to have one R1+ that I have the cover on... just coincidental ;)

Sergio8849 likes this.