1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 LCD upgrade issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by John Pearsley, Jan 1, 2021.

1. John Pearsley

John Pearsley Member

I've upgraded my R2 rPI to use a 5 inch capacitive touch lcd using HDMI for video control and usb for touch control. My original octoprint SD10 image expects to see the GPIO connection for touch control from the original resistive touch LCD using the DSI ribbon .
    So I have an SD image that displays the program for printer control direct from the lcd (it also includes octoprint for use from a web browser) but does not respond to the usb touch system. I also have a separate SD image with rPi NOOBS image which contains the rPi desktop app, and responds to the usb touch system but does not display the LCD direct control program( it dies include the octoprint for use from a web browser).
    So any ideas about how to get the original Robo sd image to recognize the usb touch system or to get the NOOBS image to run the robo direct control program on the lcd?
    btw, happy new year

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You are not going to have much luck with that.
    The LCD menu that Robo used was written as a plugin to OctoPrint and in a laguage (Kivy) that used an outdated Python library. Upgrading any of that (Python, Kivy, OctoPi -- any of the OS components) will break the menu. Also upgrading requires code changes to the Robo menu -- and that is not happening either.

Your best bet is to use a 3rd party LCD menu plugin for OctoPi

3. John Pearsley

John Pearsley Member

Thanks. As I understand your suggestion, stay with the NOOBS image with its usb touch control, locate an existing LCD plugin for the Octoprint that displays menu and options current similar to the old Robo lcd display. I understand I can upload it via the settings under octoprint running on a browser.
    If you don't mind, a separate issue is making the desktop app running on the rPi, start and run ;the lcd menu plugin automatically. Any suggestions on a direction I should look?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is no desktop app that autoruns on the Pi by default not even on the stock configuration.
    The menu on the LCD runs as a plug-in for OctoPrint which should be set to autostart as a service on the Pi. You can only get to the interface for OctoPrint from a browser or via the LCD menu and since the Robo menu will be missing you just hook up to the Pi via SSH (use putty or something similar) and then install whatever you need or some plugins can be installed directly with OctoPrint.

https://plugins.octoprint.org/help/installation/

That link has all of the different ways you install an OctoPrint plugin. I would also suggest looking around the internet to see what your options are.

https://howchoo.com/octoprint/octoprint-plugins

You can also google around for "octoprint lcd plugins" and work you way through that list.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Since I normally use the browser/web interface to control OctoPrint the LCD is of less utility for me. I experimented with a handful of plugins and each has pluses and minuses :)