1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Could custom shaft aligner contribute to z-banding?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Henradrie, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Henradrie

Henradrie New Member

I have an original R1 and it has z banding issues. Through this forum I've discovered that this is a common problem and am going to be replacing the couplers and possibly the leadscrews as set out in the forums.

My printer came purchased lacking upper supports for the z axis rods so I designed and 3d printed them. There was a lot of adjustment to get them in a position where the x axis was free moving and didn't lift off the limit switches.

Could these upper supports that I made and adjusted contribute to the problem?

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not likely. The issue is due to math really with the threading on the rods and having the flex couplers versus the steps. There are a couple of really long threads on here with all the details you can browse through.

I have a 2013 beta that I left the couplers and rods alone (5/16 threaded rods) other than using some superglue to prevent the couplers from slipping on the rods and the variance is not horrible. Really large prints can show some symptoms, but most are fine. I have another one that I upgraded from threaded rods to lead screws and it is (of course) totally free of the issue.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That said -- it can't hurt :)
    But I run most of my printers topless and even with tall models there are no problems.