1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Refurbishing a set of R1 style Robos

Discussion in 'Projects' started by mark tomlinson, Jan 12, 2021.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

2 original Beta units previously refurbed to be R1 and R1+ equivalents as well as an actual R1+...

Starting off having the C2 print some parts for the older units and ordering some parts for the R1+ :) Bad AC plug... One of the older units needs the Y axis bearing races replaced as those were literally falling apart.

Capture.PNG

2. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

One of the R1/Beta units. Complete redo of messy wiring and replacement of the bed rail conversion parts that were really crappy prints (functional, but crappy).

WiringStart1.jpg

WiringStart2.jpg

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Under bed wiring redo :)

Work in progress:
    WiringInter1.jpg

Done:
    WiringDone1.jpg

That USB cable at the very top is from a 12v to USB power converted that drives the RaspberryPi/OctoPi board/enclosure that is external. Will show that as I get the above deck parts reworked.

5. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

Can you show before pictures, I am not familiar with the R1.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The top pictures are before, bottoms are after. If you want a top picture... I'll find one tomorrow.
    Been printing all day today :) Of course, mine run topless...

7. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

Your solid state controller is about twice the size of mine. I have two small ones in my machine. I use one for the extruder, and another for the bed.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, I went for the larger one since I have had the smaller ones fail in the past. I am fairly confident that one will survive.

9. Lance Weston

I am also using that type Chinese supply on two machines. Occasionally an LCD would go dark. I found the problem. There is no hard connection from the earth GND on the power supply in to the GND on the power supply out. I realized that if I walked across the carpet and touched the machine the display would sometimes go out. I jumped the earth GND to the GND side of the output and my problem went away.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

One of the three I refurbed has a replacement PS installed since the original died after a few years.
    The others are just stock. I have a spare (Amazon 400w rather than the stock 350w) in case and if one goes out I might... try to see if it is fixable. Probably not since the replacements are so cheap. Not using the LCDs any longer -- I even ripped them off and threw them in a drawer. OctoPi -- all the way.

11. Lance Weston

What functionality is missing in Octopi. I pretty much use all of the features of the Robo LCD

12. BrooklynBay

I'm using a RepRap discount full size screen but it has its issues. After about a minute or two the screen will shift, and what was a regular page will be half of one page with another half of another page next to it. Even without touching the control, it will start to shift slowly, and there's no way to reset it without powering down, then up again. I wonder if this is a software glitch or a hardware issue. Could you post a picture of your screen?

13. Lance Weston

I am not using R1's, I am using R2's. I do not know if the screens are the same.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is not the same. @BrooklynBay that sounds like a hardware issue. Fortunately, the LCDs for the R1 series are cheap from Amazon or other places. Sounds like you are using the RepRap Full Graphics LCD.

On the R1 series the Arduino drives the LCD (Marlin handles it) and on the C2/R2 the Raspberry Pi drives the LCD

15. BrooklynBay

The RepRap Full Graphics LCD was part of an Amazon kit with the Arduino & RAMPS. It was a $20 kit, so I wouldn't be surprised if the hardware isn't great. It boots with an older version of 1.0 Marlin. Do these things contain their own firmware to update? How is a Raspberry Pi linked to the RAMPS? I saw a thread a couple of years ago about somebody using a modified C2/R2 LCD on other models.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is no firmware on the RepRap discount LCD (the 4 line display) or the RepRap full graphics LCD (the larger one). They are both drawn completely via Marlin. You set the configuration.H in Marlin to tell it which one you have and that is it.

Yes, they are cheap and I have seen a lot of "new" dead ones. On the plus side when they work they usually do for many years.

The Raspberry pi has a USB cable that plugs into the Arduino on the printer (not the RAMPS) just like a PC would connect.

I was probably that someone who you saw used a C2 SD Card in a Pi with an LCD :) It gave you the exact same LCD menu the R2 and C2 use. I have since moved on solely because Robo had customized the Raspbian code for the Pi and added a custom plugin to OctoPrint (which ran on the Pi) to handle the LCD menu. Then, they abandoned it and because the various versions of parts they fiddled with are no longer supported and you could not update ANY of the components or the menu would break. I now use standard OctoPi (which you can download an image for here: https://octoprint.org/download/) and an open source menu plugin that you can add to OctoPi. It is not identical to the one Robo used, but it works fine. Also 99% of what I do to/with the printer I do it via the OctoPi web interface not the LCD screens... The ones I looked at are these:

https://community.octoprint.org/t/octoscreen-a-new-software-to-use-octoprint-with-lcd/10629

https://github.com/Z-Bolt/OctoScreen

There are a lot of others out there -- google for OctoPrint LCD menu plugin if you want more choices