1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Homing makes loud squealing noise

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by PTIschool, Jan 22, 2021.

1. PTIschool

PTIschool New Member

I have a robo r1+ that makes squealing noises when homing the y axis. I have had to replace the glass bed and ever since then I have never been able to print reliably with this printer. I thought It might of been the firmware because I added a lcd to the printer so I tried to upload the upgraded firmware from robo but that didn’t help. Then I found a marlin version by a user named whereswaldo which seemed to work fine until I couldn’t get a level bed. I was going to install it again but then i couldn’t find it anymore or i couldn’t get it to upload without errors. I have tried arduino 1.8.12, 1.6.9, and 1.0.6 with no luck. So I tried to upload another version of robo firmware called ROBO3DR1PLUSV2 and it seemed to upload fine on arduino 1.0.6. However I get this squealing noise now when homing the y axis. It squeals and doesn’t move. It moves fine by hand though.
    I have no idea what to do anymore. I have spent some many hours working on this that my head is about to explode.
    Any help that will get me back to a normal since of printing would be a life saver. Thanks.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well the squeal can be either the bearings need lubrication or the stepper drivers are not putting out enough current to move the stepper motors.

Robo doesn't have any upgraded firmware. Their stock one was (if I recall correctly) set for the RepRap discount LCD enabled, but if you wanted the Full Graphics one to work you need to edit it.

There is a section in the FAQ that details how to compile and upload the firmware with the latest Arduino Compiler (1.8.x).
    Have you tried following those steps?

#2 mark tomlinson, Jan 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    PTIschool likes this.
  3. PTIschool

PTIschool New Member

So the squealing problem only seemed to happen during some of the firmwares that I uploaded. I know that Robo3d doesn't have any stock firmware that was upgraded, but I thought some in the community had made their own versions? I think I am good on the LCD screen. That's one thing I seem to be able to get working correctly. Thanks for the reply. I will look into everything you suggested and let you know what I find out.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ah yes, there are some community versions. If you have issues with them I'd suggest posting about it in the thread for that version. All of the community releases should have an associated thread in here. That way you are tagging it directly to the folks who use that version.

Good luck.

PTIschool likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Squealing can be caused by the stepper motor getting too much or too little drive current from the stepper drivers.
    You can't change that in the firmware, but you can change things like acceleration and speed... too fast would get you squealing too :) from the bearings if it is moving too quickly.

PTIschool likes this.
  6. PTIschool

PTIschool New Member

That’s what I thought it might be. Any suggestion on normal speed I should have for the y axis?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The R1 series is best set to less than 1/2 of what the default was (9000) you will want to experiment and find the best speed and then set it in the firmware. This is the GCode command you can use to experiment with and find the best speed:

https://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/M203.html

Put that in your startup GCode block of your slicer and do small test prints to adjust it.

PTIschool likes this.
  8. PTIschool

PTIschool New Member

So I got the firmware to upload, it still squeals a little but not near as bad as when I had other firmware, but still would like to get the sound back to normal.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Have you lubricated the bearings/shafts?
    If so then you need to identify exactly which steppers (which axis) is squealing and fine-tune the current adjustment for those stepper drivers. Here are details: http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/stepper-driver-calibration-information.6466/

10. PTIschool

PTIschool New Member