1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 limitations

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Lance Weston, Jan 25, 2021.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

OK, here is what I did:
    1) downloaded the ZIP file you linked to.
    2) extracted it
    3) opened the Arduino IDE 1.8.13
    4) Opened marlin.ino from the extracted files (Jason working file\test\Marlin-Dual_Extruder_Final_Tests\Marlin\Marlin.ino)
    5) Told the IDE to compile.

119139692_10221458812173696_6049719049483679718_n.jpg

No errors.

However... Pretty sure I have already installed the libraries/drivers for the Arduino Due.
    Make sure you have done this: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Cores
    to get the Due core installed

2. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

If we get the firmware to compile, the Ramps 1.4 fix is very easy. The 5v comes from the Arduino/DUE on two pins that supply the Ramps with 5v. cut one trace and wire an AMS1117-3.3 between the two ends of the cut trace, then solder the AMS1117-3.3 GND to GND. Now the Ramps is powered by 3.3v. The stepper boards will all work with the 3.3v, The power FETS will work with 3.3v for the current range the printer uses. I do not know if the IR board will work with 3.3v, but if it does not we can power with 5v and use a resistor to GND to limit the output to a 3.3v max. The mod on the Partsbuilt board is only slightly different.

When we get this working we should be able to get fine finishes at high print speeds on curved surfaces.

3. Lance Weston

4. Lance Weston

Did all of that. The DUE comes up in the board manager, but it gags here: picture attached

Attached Files:

5. Lance Weston

I found the AVR folder empty with megaAVR is okay. I checked and it says the AVR is installed. Can you zip your AVR directory and I can use your files.

Attached Files:

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, the next step is to try Marlin 2.x

The 1.x version will not work correctly (in spite of attestations to the contrary).
    It depends on some hardware bits that are missing (avr/xxx.h where xxx is one of the specific files like avr/io.h) when you set the target board for the Due. All the appropriate avr libraries should be there, but apparently something is missing (the arduino due library set is enabled, but there must be something else Marlin needs). A lot of the firmware tinkering (or code tinkering on ANY of the microcontrollers is a "journey of discovery" the first time you dive into a project). I am familiar with the process but I wonder if it is worth pursuing with Marlin 1.x

I could probably chase down the correct libraries, but for that effort I think it would be better to try Marlin 2.x
    I'll take a look at it.

7. Lance Weston

If I go to 2.0 there is no Marlin code for the Robo. What files am I looking at changing? I do not know what to do to proceed, but point me in the right direction and I will give it a shot.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The only part actually custom for the Robo are the Configuration files (two of them).
    It is not super hard to reconfigure Marlin (at least not 1.x -- I have not yet tried 2.x).

I could probably use 2.x on one of mine if I can get it building so ... worthwhile effort.

9. Lance Weston

I went to github to download 2.0 and got the two configurations files. I was expecting more. I put them in my folder and it did not work.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No doubt they will need to be customized. I'll look at it tomorrow.
    There may be more to it than that given how Robo messed around with the 1.1.x Marlin for the C2/R2.

11. Lance Weston

I finally found the complete marlin 2.0. I tried compiling for the mega260 and the DUE both failed.

12. Lance Weston

There were a bunch of files I modified, I added thermistor tables and had to modify all the files that referenced them, I modified the Gcode file to intercept the temps on the PID and make them lower, pin file for the motherboard, I modified the smoothing constant breaking it in two so that the bed and the hotend had different time constants. There seems to be a large difference in the number of files and where the files are located. I modified the pins files to accommodate the change of IO required by the Partsbuilt board.

None of these would be difficult to re-modify if we can get the original Jason file compiling on the DUE.