1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

G-Gode Command for Control of 12V out on Microcontroller

Discussion in 'Software' started by DavidR, Feb 2, 2021.

1. DavidR

DavidR Member

Is there a way to toggle the fan that connects to the 12V out on the arduino board? (The one that physically blows on the board to keep it cool). When I first purchased the R2 the lights stopped working and the warranty dept made me a LED Strip that plugs into that outlet to replace the broken lights. The problem I've noticed is it interferes with the IR sensor significantly (doubles the std deviation and the range when tested with M48--std dev goes from about .05 to .1 and range from .19 to .4 when those lights are off and on respectively). Right now I have to physically unplug the lights when I want high precision measurements.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I'd imagine not, but that is a Scientific Wild Assed Guess since we don't have the schematics for the Robo boards in the R2 and C2.
    Sure, we know it is effectively an Arduino Mega and a RAMPS 1.4 (with TMC stepper drivers rather than Pololu) but we don't know the exact details and port/outputs and if there are any control ports.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

One real advantage to the RAMPS is that it is well documented and the generic one has a LOT of extra I/O you can use from GCode :)
    I GET why they want to do their own boards, but you loose a bit.

4. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

The schematic for the R2 shows a control line for the heatsink fan. However the uptown and downtown boards have the negative side of the fan hardwired to GND. So it would take a bit of work to isolate the trace on the PCB's. The attached pictures show the port for the fan. Cfan is D11.

It is defined in Configuration_adv.h

#define E0_AUTO_FAN_PIN 11
    #define E1_AUTO_FAN_PIN 11
    #define E2_AUTO_FAN_PIN -1
    #define E3_AUTO_FAN_PIN -1
    #define E4_AUTO_FAN_PIN -1
    #define EXTRUDER_AUTO_FAN_TEMPERATURE 50
    #define EXTRUDER_AUTO_FAN_SPEED 255 // == full speed

Attached Files:

#4 Lance Weston, Feb 2, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    DavidR likes this.