1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved R1+ / Marlin / Homing failed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Avrution, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Avrution

Avrution Member

So, I haven't touched my printer in almost a year - got everything set back up again, but can't for the life of me remember how to do much. Things worked fine before and nothing has even been moved since it was last used.

Restarted the printer a few times and now doing a G28 gives the message "Homing failed - PRINTER HALTED - Please reset.

Before that, this is what happened:

Doing a G28 puts the printer in a different position each time. This is the output I get:

Recv: X:22.00 Y:23.00 Z:-1.31 E:0.00 Count X:1760 Y:1840 Z:-1040

When trying to run a G29 J command it starts off fine, but when tries to move the head off the table, which makes a ton of grinding noises.

I'm not sure if something is messed up in Marlin or a stored printer setting. I'm thinking it might be best to wipe and start fresh.

Error in Octoprint:

Changing monitoring state from "Operational" to "Error: Printer halted. kill() called!"
    Send: M112Send: N7 M112*38Send: N8 M104 T0 S0*41Send: N9 M140 S0*108Changing monitoring state from "Error: Printer halted. kill() called!" to "Offline (Error: Printer halted. kill() called!)"Connection closed, closing down monitor

One final thing, before all of this happened I was trying to print and it kept trying to go off the rear of the bed, which of course made horrible noises. Decided to print a standard calibration cube I have saved in Octoprint and that printed perfectly, except it wasn't even close to being in the center like it always has been before.

#1 Avrution, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

So it sounds like a combination of a couple of problems but the most likely one to start with is that one or more HOME switches are misbehaving. HOME is the ONLY position the printer has sensors for (i.e. the microswitches). If it is not homing correctly then one of the HOME switches is failing or triggering improperly.

Start by connecting to the printer with it not homed and then in a GCode terminal from your host program send the printer a G28; and then M119;

https://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/M119.html

Post those results back for us to see :)

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

With OctoPrint this is the GCode terminal under the TERMINAL tab.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is also remotely possible (although you should remember if you did) that if you updated the firmware before leaving it sit... you may have used the incorrect firmware for your model. The R1 beta, the R1 and the R1+ all look (visibly) almost identical and yet the firmware is not. Just throwing that out there in case you remember doing that.

5. Avrution

Avrution Member

Oh, I'd at least remember updating the firmware - I mainly just have forgotten troubleshooting parts.

G28 crashes the printer right now.

Code:
    Send: N7 G28*20
    [...]
    Recv: echo:busy: processing
    Printer seems to support the busy protocol, will adjust timeouts and set busy interval accordingly
    Recv: Error:Printer halted. kill() called!
    Changing monitoring state from "Operational" to "Error: Printer halted. kill() called!"
    Send: M112
    Send: N8 M112*41
    Send: N9 M104 T0 S0*40
    Send: N10 M140 S0*84
    Changing monitoring state from "Error: Printer halted. kill() called!" to "Offline (Error: Printer halted. kill() called!)"
    Connection closed, closing down monitor

6. Avrution

Avrution Member

If I restart the printer and manually move the head to the center before doing the G28 it will work and I get this

Code:
    Recv: X:22.00 Y:23.00 Z:-1.31 E:0.00 Count X:1760 Y:1840 Z:-1040
    Recv: ok
    Send: N7 M113 S2*102
    [...]
    Send: N8 M119*34
    Recv: Reporting endstop status
    Recv: x_min: open
    Recv: y_min: open
    Recv: z_min: TRIGGERED

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, so if you do the G28 (and it crashes) and then without moving the head turn it off and back on again, reconnect and then do the M119 what do you get?

The kill error can be a timeout trying to home, meaning that it drove them towards home and at least one axis did not actually trigger the HOME.

the status you saw with it in the center is correct -- X and Y are not homed (they are open rather than triggered -- the Z is home since it reads triggered)

8. Avrution

Avrution Member

Of course it won't crash right now. I am noticing if I do G28 over and over again the table just keeps moving forward, it eventually comes to a point where it stops moving (just makes a grinding noise) while the head still moves side to side.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So it is a failure of the Y endstop or the Y belt/motor.
    It should drive it all the way forward until the endstop is triggered. I assume you ran the M119 after you drive it forward with each G28; to see what the status of the endstop were? Pay close attention to the Y one...

10. Avrution

Avrution Member

I restarted again after moving the bed and head around while it was off. This time it actually completed a G29 J with 3 points and then G28 is doing it's usual thing

Code:
    Recv: X:109.00 Y:117.00 Z:-1.32 E:0.00 Count X:8720 Y:9360 Z:-1060
    Recv: X:22.00 Y:23.00 Z:-1.37 E:0.00 Count X:1760 Y:1840 Z:-1040
    [...]
    Send: N15 M119*30

Recv: X:22.00 Y:23.00 Z:-1.37 E:0.00 Count X:1760 Y:1840 Z:-1040
    [...]
    Send: N17 M119*28

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well from that list neither X nor Y is homeing. If you manually move the head to the home position and then do the M119 what do you see?

We need to see if it is just the Y or if the X is misreporting too.

12. Avrution

Avrution Member

Okay, pardon my ignorance on this one, but where should the home position actually be? I thought for some reason Marlin had a different location from stock.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

?

Marlin is stock. You may have changed it to v2.0.x or v1.1.x rather than v1.0.x but still Marlin and you should not have changed the home position. Front left corner if you are looking at it from the front is Y = 0 and X = 0 (on the bed is Z = 0).

14. Avrution

Avrution Member

Gotcha, for some reason I thought the stock firmware was it's own setup.

Just had another halt when doing G28. Restarted without moving anything and did another G28 and it moved fine.

Moving it manually to the front left most position I get:

Code:
    Send: N6 M119*44
    Recv: y_min: TRIGGERED
    Doing a G28 X0 Y0 gives me this

Code:
    Recv: echo:busy: processing
    Recv: X:0.00 Y:0.00 Z:4.96 E:0.00 Count X:0 Y:0 Z:4000
    [...]
    Send: N11 M119*26
    Recv: x_min: TRIGGERED
    Recv: z_min: open

#14 Avrution, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  15. Avrution

Avrution Member

Little more testing - small stuff seems fine, the problem is anything larger than a few inches. It is like the thing doesn't know where the Y axis really is, so when it gets to a certain point it starts grinding while the head tries to print "off" the bed.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This:

Recv: x_min: open -> bad X is not HOME
    Recv: y_min: TRIGGERED

followed by this:

Recv: x_min: TRIGGERED
    Recv: y_min: open --> BAD Y is not home
    Recv: z_min: open --> this is OK because you did not home the Z, just X and Y

when both should be home -- is problematic. Make sure both your X and Y endstop is mounted correctly and being triggered at HOME.
    This is the position/location for the X axis HOME: http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/x-axis-homing-issues.19783/#post-119450

The Y axis home switch looks identical to that, but is located under the bed. Lift the magnetic plate up and make sure that the switch is intact, wires are solidly landed and watch as you slide the rails back and forth -- you should see the switch get triggered.

17. Avrution

Avrution Member

The X triggers correctly each time it homes and I watched as the Y triggers - I actually had a magnet tear off when removing the bed to check after the last failed print. Verified the switches work with a multimeter (open signal until pressed).

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, I imagine the switch works. But it is activated by a rod that comes off of the front rails. Is that happening? When you slide the rails to the Y home spot does that rod activate the Y switch?

19. Avrution

Avrution Member

Not a rod, but the plastic part of the bed frame presses against it. X goes to the switch - tap tap. The Y moves to the switch - tap tap. Then Z homes.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, that is the normal behavior :)

If you give yours a G28 with the head in the middle and then it stops -- what are the states of the endstops?
    My suspicion is that either there is something binding and the X or Y never makes it to the switch (the Y is famous for this on the R1+ because there is a wire bundle under the bed that can get in the way if it gets loose). Or the switch is reporting HOME before the bed is actually home. That is a tough one because unless the switch is internally failing that almost can't happen -- something has to mechanically trigger it.