1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Problem with printer or actual print file?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Avrution, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Avrution

Avrution Member

I designed a small object in tinkercad, since that is about the extent of my designing experience. I'd had no issues printing larger things that I have made, but with this one I don't get any real action.

When I try and print, I get about 8 little dots like the machine just won't extrude.

I have printed things that are smaller than this that others have made (as test prints, not a standalone piece), so I'm not sure if this is an issue with the printer itself or something with my file. This is really just two stacked cylinders. Initially, this had a hollow center in the middle, but I thought that might have been the issue so I made it solid - same thing.

Does something this small need to be done with a raft in order to get things flowing? When I use the preview in Simplify I don't see any issues with things.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Run it through the (free) netfab online validator and see if you have a modelling issue.
    Broken vectors can leave the model non-manifold and the slicer will fail to slice it.

https://service.netfabb.com/login.php

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

4. Avrution

Avrution Member

Looks the same before and after. The only thing I see that might be an issue is that when I import the file into S3D it mentions how the part appears extremely small and may be in inches format. It asks me to if I want to convert to mm, but if I say yes then the model becomes gigantic.

I might see if I can make this in Fusion 360, it might be simple enough I can figure that out.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

STL files do not contain the units and almost all slicers assume the units are metric (mm).
    There are 25.4 mm / inch so that is the conversion it will use if you tell it to.

6. Avrution

Avrution Member

Seems something is just being lost in translation. I imported the file into Fusion 360 and it thinks it is 200mm versus the 20mm that it actually is.