1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Sunlu Dehydrator update

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Lance Weston, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

The Sunlu Dehydrators were working great when my basement was 10% or less RH. Now that spring has come and the RH in my basement has risen to 20% the RH in the Sunlu's have risen to 20% as well, even though I raised the temp to 50C.

My converted Rosewill dehydrator worked well for dehydration. It had a fan that sucked in heated air from the bottom then pushed it past the filament and vented it out the top. I am going to drill vent holes on the bottom and the top of the Sunlu. I do not know the optimal air flow so I will start with just a few small holes.

Update Day 1:

I drilled two 1/4 holes in the bottom front near the feet and two 1/4 holes in the top rear on one of my Sunlu dehydrators. I did not touch the other. After one day the dehydrator with the 4 holes dropped from 20% RH to 10% RH, the other remained at 20%.

With a somewhat sealed container it is reasonable to assume that heating the filament yields a hot filament in a damp environment. I will see if the RH goes down further with time, I suspect it will. I will keep the other Sunlu unmodified as a control.

#1 Lance Weston, Apr 25, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  2. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

After investigating the different filament dryers, I settled on an EIBOS dryer https://www.amazon.com/Filament-Printer-Temperature-Compatible-Overture/dp/B0B28P95MG.
    Although my ambient humidity is around 50-60%, this dryer will take the filament humidity down to 10%. What a difference dried filament makes for printing. I have a spool of filament which I was considering to throw away because of the poor printing attributes. Once I dried the filament, I made several items without a problem.

3. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

I am glad to see that a dryer without a timer is now available. The units I made were needed to get rid of the timer. This is a necessary device for all who print PETG.

My method does have some advantages. The temperature is set as the maximum temperature so that when the filament reaches the desired %RH the heater stops. This has a big energy advantage. The temp stabilizes at a much lower value. The %RH is thus regulated to the set value and resulting prints are more repeatable. I found that 20% RH gave me ideal prints.

#3 Lance Weston, Oct 2, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2022