1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Resin printers

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tkoco, Feb 2, 2020.

1. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

I'm looking at a larger DLP printer with a print volume slightly larger than the C2 printer. And I was cataloging the various color resins available on Amazon.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Have never heard of them, but just check the resolution to see if you are actually gaining anything or just getting wider spaced pixels (1080i at a 4x2 or 1080i at 5x5 is actually not better resolution). This is 2k x 2k across that size so not bad by any stretch

5. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

75 micron pixel size - I could live with that considering that the FDM pixel (line width) is typically 400 micron.

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@tkoco that was one of the printers I was looking at also. There are only a handful of reviews on YouTube, but they are all basically the same in this price range. All use the same control board, with only cosmetic changes to the UI and all use Chitu Slicer.

7. EyesFiT

EyesFiT New Member

It's really a matter of personal preference. Some people like the Photon's transparent green, while others don't. Some people can smell the resins very strongly (even the same brands and batches), while others cannot.
    Personally, I prefer grey resins because, even though they are more brittle, you can see the detail right away and they are much more forgiving of exposure times than clear resins.
    To obtain additional properties, you can mix resins such as tough or flex resin with a standard resin. With mixed resins, exposure times may need to be adjusted.
    There's also the matter of cost to consider. I like the Any cubic ECO UV resins because they don't smell and have a bit of flex to them, and I like the colors, but they are more expensive when they aren't on sale, so I won't be ordering more until the price drops significantly.
    Siraya produces a wide range of resins, including the tough Blu, the flexible Tenacious, and others. They are widely available in the United States.

8. Mythic268

Mythic268 New Member

I couldn't believe how inexpensive the Voxelab Polaris was for a resin 3D printer when I saw it on sale for $111 on Amazon. Chitubox, the slicer program, already supports the printer, so I didn't have to do anything but print!

9. Maptogram

Maptogram New Member

Resin printers are quite cheap and create fantastic results. However, do not underestimate the smell. I had to sell my elegoo, beacuse I cound not handle this issue.