1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

I'm ready to buy my first 3d printer

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by Yanez, Oct 15, 2014.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Exactly. We printed the latest quad out of a melange of PLA and Nylon and CF.
    The Nylon tends to be more flexible than the PLA, but as far as crash-resistance -- not a lot of difference*

*(the CF does seem to be a lot more resistant to impacts; the parts themselves matter since size/shape and how much impact they will bear all matter).

2. Yanez

Yanez Member

Thanks for all the awesome info guys. [​IMG]
    I found this which I guess gives me a little more clarification. I'm poking around a bit online and I found both plan abs with carbon fiber reinforcement. I assume the better of the two would be the ABS since abs is already better anyway?

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Better for what?
    See that is the question.
    Tensile versus compression load... impacts... direction of force with respect to the model...
    all different strength factors.
    As far as most raw strength numbers, the ABS with CF would likely be the higher numbers.
    Then you have to deal with the extra problems ABS brings to the table (warp and curl for starters).

(CF tends to be less flexible as well--very stiff)

4. Yanez

Yanez Member

It's a brave new world gentleman.

[​IMG]
    I'm going to learn a lot aren't I

2 people like this.
  5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You have no idea how much you're about to learn :)

6. Yanez

Yanez Member

Awesome I love a challenge. I know my first project is going to be though make a reducer brackets so I can make a cage will help with ABS and also suck all the smell outside[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

A vent hood would be a good idea regardless of the filament. If you can swing it, go for it. Great idea.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Oh, and don't miss out on @Printed Solid and @Mike Kelly ABS heated chamber mod for the Robo. If you really intend to do a significant amount if ABS it is worth the investment. You cna buy it from printedsolid.com

2 people like this.
  9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

ABS with an enclosure is the way to go. Especially if you can add a controlled heater.

10. kunicksbak

kunicksbak New Member

Very nice first prints. Glad to have another Printrbot enthusiast here and it seems you have plenty of 3d design knowledge which can go a long way when owning a 3d printer.

I have two 3d printers and will soon have more. I mainly use my Metal Simple now to just print parts for more 3d printers. I think I enjoy building these 3d printers just as much as I enjoy using them. Now, where to put them all...

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Wow, a record thread resurrection. 4+ years old ;)
    (almost 5)

Post a new member introduction thread yourself!
    Welcome.

#31 mark tomlinson, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Geof likes this.
  12. EyesFiT

EyesFiT New Member

I'm not sure what these people are talking about, but the Robo 3d Printer is a fantastic printer. I am 25 years old and attend a vocational high school for engineering technology. I purchased my cheap 5×7 photo printer in the summer of 2018, having no prior experience with a 3D printer. I was able to figure out everything on my own and solve any issues that arose. Now that my printer is operational, I can print whatever I want. Although the R1 is excellent, I would recommend waiting for the R2 to be released before deciding which printer to purchase from them.

#32 EyesFiT, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 7, 2021