1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Robo 3D R1+ - Simply unable to calibrate extruder

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by RickoT, May 19, 2021.

1. RickoT

RickoT New Member

Greetings,

This is my first time around these parts (in the world of 3d printing and this device)

I figured the first thing I should probably do out of the box is calibrate the printer since things happen in shipping. I have found a bazillion videos on how to calibrate the extruder (which all seem to use some variation of the same formula), but I CANNOT get this thing to calibrate.

I do all my measurements, follow the formula, set the value using M92 Exxx.xx, save the values (M500), and use M503 to validate the setting. Run an extrude, same (or slightly more/less) extrusion result. It just does not make sense to me.

I've even reset the values to the default hard coded settings (M502), and tried it again with no luck.

I also tried zeroing out the extruder (G92 E0) but that did not seem to change anything. Rebooted the device between setting changes/saves with no luck. I also upgraded to the Marlin v2 firmware I found on this forum, which also seemed to not do anything.(in this regard)

I should also add that I am doing all of this via an octoprint install running on an older raspberry pi (Not sure if the older model 2 B, might be causing any weirdness)

I am extremely frustrated, you would think that this would be the easy part lol.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

#1 RickoT, May 19, 2021
    Last edited: May 19, 2021
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Stay on Marlin 1.0.x (stock) unless you have a specific thing you need fixed that is covered by 1.1.x or 2.x
    Or at least until you get comfortable experimenting.

The easiest way to calibrate the extruder is to do the math and figure out what % you need to adjust the extruder (for more or less extrusion). Then edit the Marlin firmware, change the eSteps (extruder steps) by whatever percentage you calculated and then reload the firmware. See the FAQ if unsure how to edit and reload the firmware.

link: http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/faq-r1-r1-series-printers.19735/#post-119335

When you do that you can also check to be sure that the EEPROM access is enabled if you want to be able to adjust the settings without reloading the firmware in the future.

https://marlinfw.org/docs/features/eeprom.html

That could be why your M92 failed the EEPROM settings are disabled by default.

3. RickoT

RickoT New Member

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the info. I am reloading the ROBO3DR1PLUSV2 firmware (It's the only firmware I could find). I have also enabled the chitchat item. but the EEPROM_SETTINGS item was already uncommented.

I figured it was working since I was getting the ok message after doing the M92, and the M503 would return the setting changes (even after restart) but we'll see if it makes a difference

I will update shortly.....

Thanks!
    ~Rick

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Configuration.h look for this line:

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,2267.72,723.38} // default steps per unit for RoBo 3D R1

and change the last one (723.38) to your new calculated number, compile and load.

If your EEPROM setting is loaded it should work, but this will edit the base firmware and simply must work :)

NOTE: with an R1+ your values may be slightly different -- no not sweat it NOR change them. This example was from an R1, but the extruder steps are the same for all R1 series

5. RickoT

RickoT New Member

This is what mine says

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,800,723.38} // default steps per unit for RoBo 3D R1

Should I change it to match yours? (Most notably the 800 as opposed to 2267.72

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

See above :)
    All you want to do is calculate the new esteps for your extruder and then apply that change to the eSteps (723.38)

If you are unsure on the formula --> New Steps/mm = (Old/Current steps/mm) x [100 / (measured distance filament traveled)]

That formula will directly calculate the new number so just plug in the numbers and you get your new eSteps value, swap it in on the line above and recompile and reload

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Your other values in that line I gave you are correct for YOUR printer model. I just showed you one from the one I have (R1) and if you have an R1+ your other numbers will be slightly different -- DO NOT CHANGE THEM

8. RickoT

RickoT New Member

Thanks! Sorry I missed that line... I will see what I get out of this thing today, hoping to get closer :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. RickoT

RickoT New Member

ok, so I went ahead and did a few calibrations/measurements
    starting at 723.38 .. it extruded 46.6
    Per the formula...
    100/46.6 = 2.2421
    2.242 x 723.38 = 1621.09

Updated the values in my configuration.h

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,800,1621.92}

it only extrudes 50.6

There HAS to be something I am missing here, this has been my frustration for the last few days

I truly appreciate your time and help with this

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

did you update the EEPROM after reloading the firmware?

You need to do an M502 and then an M500

11. RickoT

RickoT New Member

I updated it in the firmware and flashed it, do I need to power cycle the printer for it to take? I was under the impression when you flash with Arduino it automatically does like a "soft" cycle.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you have the EEPROM enabled you need to do the M502 and then an M500
    Otherwise the options stored in the EEPROM are still in effect. The firmware reload will not be used.

13. RickoT

RickoT New Member

Ahhhhh, ok that makes sense. Let me do that then, will report back :D

14. RickoT

RickoT New Member

Ok,

So on a whim I decided to disable EEPROM and stop using Octoprint to configure this and use matter control instead. I also decided to go back to the defaults in the firmware as a baseline...

775.31 = 84.4 MM Extruded
    Doing Maths:
    - 100/84.4 = 1.185 (rounded)
    - 775.31 x 1.185 = 918.74

I put that value in the configuration.h and uploaded

Restarted the printer, validated the settings were loaded and printed again at 918.74

These are my extrusion results
    46.6 mm
    66.7 mm
    62.5 mm

The inconsistency is what is frustrating me. If I go up in steps, shouldn't the amount extruded go up?

I'm feeling really stupid here, I must be missing something really simple.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Watch this video and make sure you are measuring and calculating correctly. Flush the EEPROM once you get it set correctly (then leave it disabled if you want).

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is possible pulling the formula off the top of my head was a mistake :)

17. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

What kind of filament are you using to calibrate it? Did you check the hobbed bolt to see if there is wear? I had under extrusion issues when my hobbed bolt was getting worn down. A partially clogged nozzle with the wrong temperature of the filament will throw off the calibration too.