1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

RepRap Smart Controller

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by JWW, Jun 24, 2021.

1. JWW

JWW Member

Maybe I should disregard this video. Seems some had problems (via the comments). Are there any valid instructions to make this puppy work?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. JWW

JWW Member

Mark, yes, full graphics. The video is no longer available in your link.

5. JWW

JWW Member

6. BrooklynBay

Take a look at the code on page 6. It shows how the Reprap discount display is defined.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

8. JWW

JWW Member

Thank you both for your patience. This can't be that complicated. I haven't read your last link Mark. I've been farting around reading about this all day. What a waste of time, oh well. So I have a couple of questions.

1. Do I need to update my MatterControl 1.5 firmware first OR at all? Is it automatically updated once downloaded IF I can ever find the firmware update? I assume I want to search for v2?

2. So what's the purpose of using Arduino IDE? I've used IDE's before but never messed with Arduino. Is it used for editing (commenting out etc.) the U8glib for Arduino library files?

Just looking for some sort of basic guidelines of what's going on.

-JW:

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

1. Nope, not even. No, the current firmware for the R1 series is still 1.0.x Can you use a later one? Yes, but I can't help you there.
    2. It is the compiler and the tool to upload the firmware to the Arduino. Can you use others (like PLatforrm.io or Visual Studio)? Yes, but the easiest to use is the Arduino IDE. If you go that route read the FAQ post I have over here and it tells you all you need to know about compiling..

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/faq-r1-r1-series-printers.19735/#post-119335

that is the post you want.

The compiler will want to reference the UG8 library if you enable the full graphics LCD since it uses that library to draw the sexy pictures.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and of course all of the actual code editing you do will be in the CONFIGURATION.H file -- no need to edit any of the others.
    Make a backup copy before you start and then you can easily roll back. Once it is compiled and working correctly save a copy of that file somewhere and if you need to make other changes you can start with the copy you already edited.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

12. JWW

JWW Member

Thanks, trying to get this accomplished before the crazy grandkids arrive in a few days. <g>

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, once it is compiled and uploaded there is no easy (or really practical) way to go back and figure out which version you have installed. Unless it reports its version somewhere on the LCD (and and an not remembering if that is true or not) I only have one with the FG LCD -- I can go look tomorrow in the shop and see what it displays.

14. BrooklynBay

Matter Control only allows a limited amount of control over making changes to the EEPROM settings for calibrating the extruder. it allows you to change the number of steps, but that is it. The Arduino IDE is recommended for making changes.

I would recommend downloading Matter Control version 1.7.5. Version 1.5 is what originally came with your printer. Clicking the update software option will download version 2.0 which is a completely different slicer. It's a combination of a slicer, and a CAD drawing program which is useful but also confusing since it has so many functions mixed into it.

15. JWW

JWW Member

Two more questions.

1. Where can I download the original R1 plus firmware? It's not downloadable on the Robo site.

2. Exactly what file do I rename in case things go wrong with the firmware update?

16. BrooklynBay

Save your existing firmware configuration as a back up in a folder, then install new firmware.

Attached Files:

17. BrooklynBay

Don't forget to calibrate your extruder. You could update your firmware, and calibrate your extruder with Matter Control or with the Arduino IDE. I have other files but this site won't let me upload them because it doesn't recognize the file extension.

Attached Files:

18. JWW

JWW Member

BrooklynBay,

Thanks for the files. I know I'm a PITA but I don't understand things 'sometimes'. So mind telling me what you mean by backing up? Do you mean the entire directory and subdirectories. I thought there was one I could simply rename?

Attached Files:

19. JWW

JWW Member

So I should use the u8glib_arduino_v1.18.1.zip and NOT the u8glib_arduino_v1.14? Just double-checking.

20. BrooklynBay

Go to the desktop or the my documents folders on your computer. Right click the option for creating a new folder. Rename it Robo printer back up. Save your existing firmware into that folder, then use Matter Control or the Arduino IDE to install new firmware. Open the section to change the steps for your extruder, then try to extrude filament. Monitor the amount coming out compared to the command to extrude (Matter Control has a 100MM extrusion preset).