1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New Raspberry Pi 3 B+ board won’t boot RoboOs

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by GPY, Jul 24, 2021.

1. GPY

GPY New Member

I have a Robo R2 with a defective original Raspberry Pi 2 board that went bad. So, I replaced it with a new Raspberry Pi 3 B+ but it will not load RoboOs. Tried 3 different SD cards and all I get is red lights blinking. The new board works as I tried a different SD card with Raspian on it and that boots ok. Any suggestions?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The original board should have been a Pi 3 (mine were) but either way you can download a replacement IMAGE and burn it and see if it works for you:

look here: https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...ourcekey=0-fBOIGqlfr8hPKXvK0xWmzA&usp=sharing

for : r2_2.0_replace.zip

use win32diskimager to burn that to an 8gb (or better -- 16gb) SD card.

Note that this is not an image of YOUR SD card so the name of the machine will be different. You can change that back (if you care) by using putty or SSH to log onto the Pi and reconfigure it with : SUDO raspi-config

3. GPY

GPY New Member

Thanks for your quick reply. I did as you suggested but with this img I am still getting a blinking red light boot error. I also tried the CommunityOs for Robo and I at least got opening screens but it locks up with the Octoprint code 403 error screen. I have a brand new Zboard, brand new Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and a brand new 32 gb SD card. It's driving me nuts for the past 2 weeks. I am also new to network commands but learning on the fly. Any further suggestions?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, first piece of advice: stay away from the community edition RoboOS.

It was never quite finished to work exactly as the standard one did largely because Robo used a custom plugin for OctoPrint that could not be replaced without rewriting large chunks of it. Community OS was an attempt to do away with that and just have a stable open source version of the entire mess that could be worked on. Sadly -- never quite got finished for the R2/C2.

Not sure which board you are referring to as the the 'Z board', but there is the Control board (which is essentially an Arduino Mega and a RAMPS 1.4 combined into a single board). Then there is the Raspberry Pi and lastly the Uptown and Downtown control boards in the carriage for the extruder assembly.

Ultimately I pointed you to the current RoboOS image that you can reburn onto an SD card and if that doesn't help it may be a bad Pi (which is easy to swap/test) or a bad controller board (which is a little less easy to deal with). Either way we can figure out where the problem is.

5. GPY

GPY New Member

I tried burning a new img of RoboOs as you suggested. Still getting a no boot blinking red light. The new Raspberry Pi board works fine as it does load the CommunityOs fine and I get full function including Octoprint. Is it possible that the video config needs to be edited to make RoboOs boot?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you don't use the correct one for your LCD type it will not boot correctly.
    So you need either the HDMI or the GPIO version and you have to use the correct one.
    They use different system level drivers for the LCD on each one.

If you don't really need the LCD or if you are not tied to the RoboOS version of he LCD menu you can with the Community version of the OS load a different LCD menu plugin into OctoPi and it will work fine. You might still need to have the OS load the correct driver for either the HDMI or GPIO LCD screen I imagine.

7. GPY

GPY New Member

Video config is fine. Got to the Rainbow screen then green light blinks, solid red then a few faint green blinking lights with black screen and stops loading. I got this far by using the boot files from CommunityOS copied into the Robo R2 OS micro SD card. RPi 3 B+ now needs other correct files to fully load. I looked through the Overlay files of both OS but cannot determine if the CommunityOs has the proper files to complete the loading process. It is not apparent which files are the actual OS files of each either. Do you know which file is the actual Robo R2 OS?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I would not worry about the RoboOS image.
    While you can't just copy operating system files between them (because the Community OS and the Robo OS are not the same versions of Linux) the main part of the Linux boot process is bootcode.bin (read more here if you want: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=96239). I would not expect that to sort out your boot issues.

What I would suggest is to download this SD card image and once you get it booted, configure OctoPi with the details of your printer (pretty easy to do) and then you will be on the latest version of the OS and OctoPrint.

https://octoprint.org/download/

As I may have mentioned I don't use either the Community or Robo OS versions, I just use the standard octopi distribution and keep it updated as needed.