1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Problem with Z Offset on LCD Display

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Tanbam, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Tanbam

Tanbam Member

It’s been a while since I’ve posted here. Back around 2015, I brought my R1 to the office so everyone could use it, and after a couple of months of heavy use, so many things were wrong with it that I didn’t have the urge to fix them all. It got stuck on a shelf and forgotten.

A couple of months ago, I got the 3D printing bug again because there were a lot of little things that I wanted to print, so I bought a new printer that works pretty great. After I’d been using it, I decided to get the old R1 out of storage and fix it up for my kids to use.

After replacing a bunch of parts that were broken and tuning it all up, it’s printing beautifully, better than it ever did. The prints are absolutely perfect on it. The shell is a bit yellowed, but mechanically, it’s a beauty.

Today, I installed a 12864 display module and made the firmware edits to get almost everything working well, including inverting the encoder. I’m using the latest official firmware from Robo’s website with a few tweaks here and there.

The last remaining issue is when I try to print from the display’s SD card slot. For some reason, the z axis wants to go way too low and grinds against the bed.

I’ve tried to edit the z offset on the display, but it won’t allow me to adjust it below +000.05mm. My printer needs to have a z offset of around -1.0mm, but the dial won’t go below the 0.05mm setting. I can dial it more positive as far as I want, which lowers the nozzle even further into the bed, but I just can’t go the other way, like there is a hard limit. The printer seems to ignore any z offset setting I have in the gcode, so it’s not an easy slicer fix.

I’m sure that this is a setting in the firmware somewhere, but I can’t seem to find it. Does anyone have any insight or a solution for me?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. Tanbam

Tanbam Member

Thanks for the link, but that wasn’t my issue.

I’m fairly familiar with getting these things tuned. The only problem that I was having was that I couldn’t get prints to run from the SD card in the new display that I’d just installed yesterday.

I didn’t have any issues printing via octoprint, which is what I’d been up until yesterday.

My new Creality printer lets me store the z offset in the eeprom, so I don’t need to adjust my slicer settings. I was attempting to do this in the Robo.

The settings that I need to put in the slicer was -1.0mm. I was trying to adjust it on the display, but the knob wouldn’t adjust any lower than +0.05mm. I could go as high as I wanted, but no lower than 0.05.

Even with the z offset in the gcode, the nozzle just ran across the bed until layer 4, then it would print fine.

Earlier today, I flashed the 1.1.1 firmware I found on here, then spent a couple of hours getting the display working and everything configured.

The new firmware was still dragging the nozzle across the bed, so I experimented a bit and found that the display z offset is inverted compared to the slicer. I had to set it to +1.0mm to get it to lay down the first layer right. The printer just finished printing a calibration cube from the SD card, and it looks pretty perfect.

The only thing I have left to do on this is make some better brackets for my lead screw upgrade. I’ve tried a few from Thingiverse, but none of them are perfect yet.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I can't comment on the non-stock versions of the firmware as I do not use them.
    If you added (to the startup GCode) the -1.0 mm offset in the M565 (M565 Z-1.0) command with the stock firmware it should have adjusted you up.

5. Tanbam

Tanbam Member

I was originally using stock firmware. I agree that the z offset in the GCode should have worked, but it didn’t. I’m using the exact command that you posted.

If I uploaded the GCode to octoprint, it would print perfectly. If I put the exact same file on the SD card, it would drag the bed. I have no idea why it would treat the exact same file differently, but it did.

My cal cube was still a tiny bit close on the bottom layer, so I can still go up a hair, but that’s just being picky at this point. I’ve been messing with this printer so much lately that it is printing even better than my new one now.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If it works from OctoPi then OctoPi is probably using that Z offset in the StartUp GCode block it provides.
    That may well not be the same as what you have when you just put exported GCode on the SD card.
    Take a look at the very beginning of the GCode file you put on the SD card, what does the startup sequence look like?

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Clear EEPROM and try it again. Sometimes settings get saved that you don’t want and it messes with your offset by stacking them

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yep, not a fan of the flash eprom for that very reason :)
    I forget too easy and have to leave sticky notes on the printers...

9. Tanbam

Tanbam Member

I got busy and didn’t work on it again until today, and I decided to just start from scratch.

I adjusted the Merlin 2.0 firmware posted in here for my configuration, and everything is working great.

I don’t know what the issue was before on the other firmware, but it is now printing the first layer properly using the same gcode file. I didn’t have any startup gcode in the octopi, so that wasn’t causing it. It was only an issue when printing from the SD card slot on the display board.