1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Extrusion shape.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by joea, Aug 17, 2021.

1. joea

joea Active Member

Various issues since putting in a hardened steel nozzle. Simple question. I hope.

Placed the carriage high enough to watch while an extrusion happens. I think a normal extrusion is pretty much straight line, with very little, if any "curlies" and should just coil up on the bed.

With this one, it seems the extruded material "meanders" all over the place and does not drop in straight line while extruding. This is curious as I am also find a lot of "stringing" sitting still, which flows out straight. I gather this nozzle "drip" is generally an indication of "too hot" for the material.

I am about to do a comparison of the two nozzles I have, but frankly find it a hassle to change nozzles and would rather the voices of experience grace me with their hard earned nuggets of wisdom. Or something.

2. joea

joea Active Member

I guess it is solved anyway. I swapped nozzles and compared the extrusions using 100mm extrusion via MC.

They look essentially the same, so I guess the problems lie elsewhere. Pretty straight while extruding and a relatively neat coil piled up.

Though I did observe the brass nozzle laid a coil about 1/2 inch in diameter and the hardened steel about 3/4 inch in diameter. I wonder at that being significant or not.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Retraction helps with oozing and stringing as well as adjusting the temperature.
    A new nozzle with different material (like steel instead of bronze) will transfer the heat differently so you may have to adjust some of the parameters. If you previously printed at a given temperature expect that it may shift up/down with the new nozzle type.

My volcano extruder with a hardened steel nozzle prints PLA as low as 183/185 ... so expect things may alter a bit and test.

4. joea

joea Active Member

Yeah, I noticed I could drop the temperature a bit and not see a difference in the coils. But that says little about print quality.

I've been searching in vain for a good test file to help determine the best nozzle height/offset for adhesion, etc. So far, I have attempted to make due with the dimension test cube and stopping it after a few laying down a raft/brim. Does not seem like the best solution.

I do have a couple test prints I can use for temperature and stringing evaluation.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. joea

joea Active Member

mark tomlinson likes this.