1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Z_RAISE_BEFORE_HOME

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by joea, Aug 19, 2021.

1. joea

joea Active Member

I noticed the printer does not raise Z before homing X and Y, only "probing" Z AFTER X and Y have reached home.

The line in configuration.h is enabled (not commented out), never has been AFAIK, yet . . .

Is this a known issue?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. joea

joea Active Member

Where should the R parameter go? I tried it in the Custom Gcode (G28 R4 X0 Y0 Z0) in MC but terminal shows it does not send. I have no clue where else to look. Not working from terminal either. Note says available since 1.1.9 which I assume is the Marlin code?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

yes, but stock marlin is 1.0
    which is why I suggested the M565.
    With Marlin 1.1 and 2.0 it is quite different

which veraion of marlin are you on?

5. joea

joea Active Member

According to the LCD is is 1.0.0 RC2-mm by Ezra . . . .
    I did not find the version in any of the files via Arduino. Should I try updating MArlin?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The display on the LCD is not really (usually) meaningful and that certainly rings no bells with me.
    If you want to be certain what release you are on -- reload it from a known source.

7. joea

joea Active Member

Begs the question, where is the version number in the source code? OR, should I just transfer the modified settings to the current source of 1.0.x I recently downloaded from Marlin. OR+, should I just download 1.1.x and do the same?

8. joea

joea Active Member

Found it in Marlin.main.cpp. There it says 1.0.0. Interestingly, there is a list of Gcodes below that. But no mention of M565. That command does seem to have an expected effect, as evidenced by some test prints.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The actual string on the LCD is usually in CONFIGURATION.H :)

10. joea

joea Active Member

But I was looking for the actual "marlin" declared version number. That is where I found it.

11. joea

joea Active Member

Interestingly, I downloaded the "official" Robo R1+ V2 version and it also states 1.0.0 in that string. Sigh. I'm not really of a mind right now to do a line by line to look for differences.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Except the one from Robo is not exactly that version as they have modified some bits -- it is not much different so I always say the stock one is effectively 1.0.x and the next version was 1.1.x and marlin is at 2.0.x on the head of that code line.

My advice is always to not upgrade the firmware unless you have a specific reason that you know the new version will fix. Marlin often changes underlying behaviors (like the entire autoleveling was changed after 1.0 -- a lot) and you can get surprised.

13. joea

joea Active Member

Certainly the Robo version is different enough that M565 seems to work, but is not defined elsewhere. I may have to take a swim in the source to puzzle that out. Actually, I'd rather get back to printing parts, so maybe I need to stop displaying ADHD and get back on track.
    [

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and... the stock version is fine. Unless you want to take advantage of some features (like MESH leveling) in the later versions the stock 1.0 version is 100% workable. I run it on 7printers. Heck, not just Marlin... I have an SeeMeCNC Delta we had custom built (6 feet tall) and it uses Repetier firmware... still on the stock version of that too because... it works.

The only changes I have made have been minor edits to CONFIGURATION.H to support replacement hotends and similar minor mods. Well, that and I fixed a bug that prevented you from compiling the 1.0 Marlin in later versions of the Arduino IDE.

Nothing fancy needed. The printers all work just fine.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

M565 is defined in the 1.0 Marlin source and you can look up the docs on the Marlin website (I have not dug into the implementation -- but is not an addition Robo made).

Sadly they almost immediately deprecated it in 1.1.x and switched to another style of leveling and different GCode

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I never tore into it very deeply even though I was active in the Marlin forum and worked on a few modules in the 1.0 time-frame. I just wanted the printers to print... :) I gave up being a maintainer a number of year ago because it became a zoo for a while and getting commits into the code was too much work.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

19. joea

joea Active Member

Care to share that "minor mod" so I can update Arduino IDE?

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member