1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Filament Dryer (Sunlu Dryer Update)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Lance Weston, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

I bought Sunlu Filament dryers. The operational concept is all wrong. You set a temperature and timer.

I just ordered a temperature and humidity controller (24vdc) from Amazon, but it is also commonly on eBay:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08ZKDY556/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Added a 24v relay because I assume the grounds are common and I want the two outputs in series:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08ZKDY556/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While the humidity is not low enough the heater will turn on to the max temp programmed.. I may even mount a fan in my printed box.. The big advantage is that: I no longer have to keep pressing buttons on the Sunlu Box, I will not waste money heating filament that is already dry enough. Set it and forget it.

Parts are coming from China. When they arrive I will update.

This works really well. The SFX-ST3022-24V has relays with isolated contacts. (eBay or Walmart) On the PCB one side of the relay contacts can be jumped to 24v(-) the other relay can be jumped to 24v(+). The 24v from the rear connector can be directly soldered to the PCB and the heater can now be directly soldered to the relay contacts.

I glued the sensor to the inside of the box cutting a double sided sheet (for gluing glass to flexplate). I reduced the length of the sensor wires. I then used the same double sided glue sheet to glue the module to the front of the Sunlu box.

There is about a 3C and 3% RH hysteresis once installed.

This is set and forget, no having to push buttons before the 24 hour time is up. It save energy by not requiring heat unless the RH% drops.

upload_2021-9-26_11-44-6.png

Attached Files:

#1 Lance Weston, Sep 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    mark tomlinson likes this.