1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Enclosure for ABS

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by BrianD01, Sep 27, 2021.

1. BrianD01

BrianD01 New Member

Does anyone know the max ambient temperature rating of the R1+ printer? I built an enclosure for printing ABS and want to know how high a temperature I can maintain in enclosure without shortening the life of the printer or causing other problems.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

does your enclosure enclose the bottom of the printer where the electronics live?

3. BrianD01

BrianD01 New Member

Yes it's an insulated box with the printer inside. I've been printing at 115F.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Problem with that is the electronics (Arduino Mega and RAMPS 1.4) are under the bed and they have heat sinks on the stepper drivers to prevent those from overheating. If possible I'd suggest adjusting the cover/enclosure to NOT include the bottom of the printer (below the bed). Failing that just be careful -- at some point the stepper drivers will overheat and limit current to the stepper motors.

5. BrianD01

BrianD01 New Member

At 115F everything works fine. I suppose if I want to increase that temp, then I should try to vent the electronics as you said. Thanks for your input.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, it should be fine there, but since the RAMPS drivers are depending on the air temp as the ultimate heat-sink you wouldn't want to run it much hotter -- for long-term considerations.