1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Beta? printer build

Discussion in 'Projects' started by feralsteph, Feb 12, 2021.

1. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

So... Because I'm impatient and couldn't wait until I was done with work, I pulled the thermistor out and all the wiring etc for it and tested it just to ensure it did infact work and yep...itworks.!

So now to work out how it was shorting when installed. But that can wait a little

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

Pulled it apart and did some testing and....it was shorting on the screw that hold it in place!
    So after some fiddling got it back in seated all good. Then I went to assemble to rest of the printer again and....the thermistor came out again! Gah!

And the Ender 3 cracked the shits at me too so I'm a little frustrated with the printers at the moment.

Will try again later.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

feralsteph likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

5. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

That is a great idea!!!! Just ordered some kapton tape and will give that a go when it arrives.

Never would have thought of that, thanks!!!

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The good news is it will not damage the hotend and if you need to take it off a small craft razor will jhandle it.

7. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

As previously stated, I'm impatient so carefully fitted the thermistor so it wasn't shorting and put it back together to do a test print. And it worked! Happy days. Though it seems to be underextruding...so now need to sort that issue out. Have already ruled out esteps as they seem accurate.

Back to researching but glad the printer at least works again.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Make sure that the nozzle is not oversized from age (the filament will wear a brass nozzle larger over time and will mess up your extrusion eventually just like bad esteps). I have had brass 0.4 nozzle wear out to 0.7 ;) Worth a check... Or just swap in a new nozzle (the brass ones are cheap enough).

9. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

Good point.
    I wouldn't think so as it's a new nozzle that came with the hotend - but will definitely check it to make sure (and make sure I didn't accidentally put a larger one on!

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, if you recently replaced it then it is likely good.
    Try printing a few degrees hotter -- it might just be the filament is not quite in full plastic flow mode.

I am coming up empty on any other obvious way that could happen :)

11. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

Alright! I am at a loss.

I am currently massively regretting my upgrade as I haven't been able to print anything decent since. And considering reverting back. But first I do want to try some more - because I haven't tried all that much.

My prints are turning out crap and I have z-banding again. I had lines missing in the prints, but dried the filament and it clearer up mostly. I'm trying now with some white pla+ and did a benchy and... While no missing lines, the print looks really bad. But it did print and finish it so I guess that's a win.

I've been trying to find ways to calibrate it and having some issues. Esteps are good and flow seems okay too. Attempting some different slicer settings but I worry there's something wrong in the hotend.

I'm annoyed cos I had it printing really nicely and...now I'm back to square one. Help!

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Belts and stepper drive cogs are tight?

A picture of the 'crap' benchie would help :)

and to be clear you have not gone and altered the firmware since it was printing well?

13. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

https://imgur.com/a/DL0sslW

Took some photos

So after printing the fox I changed since settings to try a benchy and will it isn't great.

Only firmware change was the temp sensor and max temp range change. Otherwise nothing changed.

I think I need a bit more part cooling on one side as I only have one fan. I tried to fix the banding by adjusting the z screws but it's either not done right or there's something else wrong.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The layer lines on the benchy could be either a loose belt that allows the head to 'slop' beyond where it should stop OR over extrusion.

It could also be an issue with the drive on whichever axis that is (X/Y). Some of the early R1 units had Z banding (feel free to search the forum for those threads) su to poor choices for the threading on the Z threaded rods by Robo.

I'd check the belts and calibrate the extruder first.

15. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

It has been a while! We moved house and i;v finally got my printer area set back up so i can get back into getting the Robo running well.
    i'm now stuck on the bed. i don't like it. it needs to be better. wondering what options ar available - noting i've done the linear bearing upgrade, i need to do something about the glass bed and heater.
    i'm thinking new glass, new pad to the size of something like the ender 3 (even using one of those beds)
    had issues of flex with the long bed upgrade so looking to bring it back down to a more managable size.

16. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

Okay! We are getting there. Made some progress on the printer. Reverted the bed back to its normal size for now, calibrated the hotels and we have prints!!! I need to fix the banding yet again but pretty happy with getting it back together.

17. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

Had a go at fixing the banding and not much improvement, so not sure what to do there. If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix banding.

I also discovered that one side isn't as nice I think because I currently only have one part cooling fan. So next step I think is to get another part cooling fan. So if anyone has links on how to add a second fan to the robo3d it would be appreciated. Or a fan design that gives overall part cooling.

I'd really like to get it to the point I can hit print and it prints beautifully like the Ender. Baby steps.

18. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As a start I would calibrate the extruder ... this makes sure the E-steps (extruder stepping) is correct.