1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered First layer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JWW, Nov 8, 2021.

1. JWW

JWW Member

This is the first time ever I've had this problem. I've owned my R1+ since the day they went on sale. So what'sx the fix.

As always, thanks

Attached Files:

2. fred3d

fred3d Member

That picture shows what might be a nozzle too close to the bed. Double check the clearance and z-offset.

3. JWW

JWW Member

Mind explaining how that is done? I've never had to check that since I've owned the printer, probably in 6 or 7 years, so I'm clueless. It always self-levels. I know the bar the extruder rides on is parallel to the glass bed.

4. JWW

JWW Member

Thanks, found a link explaining how to set it.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is not level either If the self-leveling is doing that I'd check the Z home switches to make sure one (or both) are not out of position.

6. JWW

JWW Member

I'm not sure how to do that?

Also, I know YOU don't use MatterControl but I do. I haven't a clue how to set the Z height differently? What would be your guess in MC? All of the boxes are greyed out.

Attached Files:

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Watch this video :)

Why would you fiddle with the Z height? It is not changing and all of the R1/R1+ printers are the same MAX Z.

If you mean Z offset -- try what we have in the FAQ:

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/faq-r1-r1-series-printers.19735/#post-119212

there are examples for most slicers in it... (including MatterControl)

8. JWW

JWW Member

I will check out all the videos. I don't have the problem he mentioned in the video, definitely not the first one mentioned, meaning the spinning. That's never happened to my R1+. I'm printing right now so I can't verify the other two things he mentioned. I know my horizontal rods are right on, or level with the glass bed. I checked them with 123 machine blocks frequently. The original problem being the first layer was skipping. I ended up printing this yesterday. Today, when attempting another print, I had the skipping issue going on again. I thought that was controlled by the screen capture I uploaded a few minutes ago. Guess not.

Attached Files:

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

10. JWW

JWW Member

Mark,

I printed this part in Simplify3D with the default settings for a Robo R1 plus (with bed leveling). I did a few test prints of other things too. I was pleased with the results. However, when I looked at the bottom, I wasn't. Can you tell me what the problem is setting-wise?

I know what an normally open/close is in a circuit. I also understand what tram means. I have a Bridgeport Mill. The rods on my machine are parallel with the bed. I don['t see a gap on the stops as mentioned in the video. Of course, maybe I don't understand something.

Also, the ribbon on the bottom of the print bed was an issue. The way it was wrapped on its fixture/holder, the bend in the ribbon was hitting the machine. So that's fixed.

When the model starts extruding on the build plate, it skips for an inch or so, then gets better as it lays down the PLA. I'll have to do a few more test prints. There is still something going on.

20211116_175206.jpg P1050738.jpg

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

12. JWW

JWW Member

Thanks, where would that be in Simplify3D? BTW, just for the record, my prints stick fine.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Here under edit process settings. Add it to this starting script along with the G29 and all:

G28;
    M565 Z-1.0; then adjust this as neded
    G29;

If you use OctoPi then do it there, not in the slicer (which is why mine is blank).

Capture.JPG

14. JWW

JWW Member

My Settings.jpg Here's what mine says at the moment.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, so experiment by setting the offset from -1.0 to -0.9 or even -0.8 if .9 is not low enough.

16. JWW

JWW Member

So leave the code 'as is' but just adjust the number?

Adjusted.jpg

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Exactly correct sir.
    If that doesn't get you a flat enough first layer then try 0.8. You are not that far off, but it needs a bit more 'smoosh' :)

18. JWW

JWW Member

As always, thanks for your time and help.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  19. JWW

JWW Member

Sorry, yet another question. I did try searching Youtube and read the Simplify3D startup guide but never found anything related to this. Does S3D show the actual process of the printing head movement either in 2D or 3D as MatterControl does? I know there's an animation slider where you can see that, but that's not what I'm talking about.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member