1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered First layer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JWW, Nov 8, 2021.

1. JWW

JWW Member

Well, that didn't work at -9. It was slightly dragging on the glass build plate. The first perimeter laydown isn't a consistent width extrusion with the naked eye, not under a microscope. So to me, it appears it is not extruding a constant amount of PLA. I have the spring-loaded screws real snug too.

So I attached 4 images. TWO under a microscope (not a stacked image so some of it OOF). The other 2 images are of my contacts. I'm sort of at a loss.

Attached Files:

#21 JWW, Nov 17, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  2. JWW

JWW Member

Here is a photo of the OUTER most extrusion that it lays down before anything else. I suppose it's the perimeter. It's laying on a piece of black paper.

IMG_2010.jpg

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is a Z axis too high .. the skirt (which is what this is called) should be pressed down as well.

If your bed is too high in some spots for the Z axis and too low in others you probably need to manually adjust the bed level and then try autoleveling for fine tuning. The autoleveling on the R1 series was not smart enough to handle a bed that the X or Y axis was out of whack by much (a mm or more).

I no longer autolevel any of them, manual leveling and redone when something changes (like the nozzle).

With the power off -- raise the nozzle to be 1 sheet of paper off the bed at home (manually turn the Z rods to do this).
    Then manually move the head across the bed much the way the autoleveling does (power still off) and see how much differen the nozzle offset is in at least 6 places across the bed. Manually adjust the Z rods to get them all to just a sheet of paper thickness off the bed,

Then try auto leveling for the fine adjustments.

4. JWW

JWW Member

Mind suggesting a good test print.

5. JWW

JWW Member

I leveled the bed with a piece of paper. It took a while but wasn't difficult. Then fired up Simplify3D and printed the Benchy. I'm using all the default Simplify3D settings for my printer. I didn't even check the layer thickness, or anything else. just hit print.

I still haven't figured out how to get the actual real-time printing process to show up on the screen as MatterControl has. I'm not talking about the pre-animation option. I select Begin Printing over USB, it heats up the bed and extruder, then prints the model.

Anyway, I think the Benchy printed nicely considering I used the default settings and am very happy with it. You can even see the steering wheel. The skirt was business as usual, pretty crappy. I didn't try adjusting the M565 Z-1 and left it at 1. The bottom of the Benchy looks fine too.

Attached Files:

6. JWW

JWW Member

Just wand some clarification please. Which is correct?

M565 Z--.9
    M565 Z- -.9

Note the white space between the -'s in the last example.

7. JWW

JWW Member

I think my issue is also an extruder issue. IF so, how would I troubleshoot that? I had to put 8 skirts on a test model before it extruded symmetrically. Meaning an equal amount of PLA without skipping.

I also figured out the real-time updates live preview tracking. I didn't have the box checked. What's a good number for the update interval? Mine was set at 5 seconds by default.

Is there a way to move the XYZ axis in Simplify3D like there is in MatterControl?

Attached Files:

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

deprime test object.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

M565 Z-0.9 is correct.

Z -0.9

Z plus a negative 0.9

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, in the machine control panel

They have some really good training videos and pages on their website.

11. JWW

JWW Member

Yes, I saw all the training videos. I also viewed the control panel but was looking for something like MatterContol method of moving all the XYZ axes and extruder. That way, I could run (or prime) the extruder before printing. Also, if I cancel a print, then I can move the nozzle up and off the print. I didn't notice that ability in the control panel, or it wasn't clear how to do that.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Did you miss the machine control panel :) The jog controls on the right let you manually control the steppers too.

Capture.JPG

71h1eH3+qZL._SL1500_.jpg

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

retract/extrude/+x/-x/+y/-y/+z/-z
    All there.

14. JWW

JWW Member

Sorry Mark, yes, I didn't notice that tab. <duh> Thanks ...

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is a bit hidden. I assumed they didn't expect much manual fiddling :)
    Which was a bad idea.

16. JWW

JWW Member

I finally have this puppy dialed in. Thanks for all the help. BTW, I have the stock nozzle in my R1 plus. Do you have any suggestions for excellent 1.75mm PLA. I see that Robo is out of stock.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sadly when it comes to filament I am not the best suggestor :)
    90% of what I use is the cheapest I can find -- the Robos eat that stuff with no issues.
    I have a couple of other printers that are very picky and for those I use only ColorFabb. Works every time where the cheap stuff just leads to misery and cursing.

If you want excellent they are the source.

18. JWW

JWW Member

I still haven't figured out how to get the actual real-time printing process to show up on the screen as MatterControl has. I'm not talking about the pre-animation option with the play and slider option to view the print BEFORE it starts to print. I select Begin Printing over USB, it heats up the bed and extruder, then prints the model. The screen does show up but it's not real-time of the actual printing. Super slow and I have it set to 0.1. I don't see an option to make it faster than that?

Attached Files:

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Also bear in mind that Simplify3D requires use of DirectX video drivers to do the animation.. so make sure those are up-to-date.