1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Replace Z axit linear rods

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by John Pearsley, Dec 1, 2021.

1. John Pearsley

John Pearsley Member

Does anyone know where I can find some information about replacing the Z axis linear rods? Specifically I'm having trouble removing the old ones.

2. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

Raise the bed then power off the R2. Remove the cover to the electronics below. The plastic base that the cover goes into just pops out. Once that plastic is out it is fairly obvious ho to do the rest. The 12mm rods are almost impossible to damage. Why are you removing them?

3. John Pearsley

John Pearsley Member

I've rebuilt most of the internals so the printer is fully open. I was having problems with the z axis sticking during movement. Oiling the rods and adjusting the stepper motor drivers didn't resolve it. I decided to replace the Z linear rods and guides. But trying to remove the rods I unscrewed the 4 screws holding the plastic parts holding the rod ends, didn't loosen anything. I decided to ask for advice before I broke anything. (My wife is proud of me.)

4. Lance Weston

Hairspray will gradually gum up the z axis bearings and cause sticking. Oiling does no good because if the bearings are stuck the oil just gets wiped off. Replace the bearings as the most likely problem. Or if the bearings are hard to get ( Do not buy cheap bearings) soak in water with dish detergent to remove most of the hair spray. then soak in alcohol to remove most of the water. Now leave dry for a day then soak in 40W oil. Dry off the bearings and reinstall. Partsbuilt sells quality parts https://www.partsbuilt.com/z-axis-linear-bearing-r2-c2-robo-3d/

5. John Pearsley

John Pearsley Member

Thanks, I didn't know about the problem with oil and the bearings. It appears that I need to remove the rods to get the guides off. I assume I need to remove at least the top plastic holder for the rods. Can you tell me where to find any detailed information on removing the rods. I haven't found anything on the Robo site or anywhere else.

6. Lance Weston

Robo never documented this. As I recall it was moderately difficult. Used to be guys on the forum that helped with that, but I think they no longer use Robo Machines. Good luck, just take pictures as you go.