1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Raspberry Pi

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Lance Weston, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

Can I substitute a B+ for the B version?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I see no reason why not. I wouldn't swap the 3 for a 4 unless you are rebuilding the OS image for the Pi/OctoPrint from the ground up.

3. Lance Weston

I hope so, I have one coming in mid December.

I bought it as an additional spare after replacing everything in the system. I thought I was constantly trashing the SD card. Turns out that if you rename the printer in Printer Profiles it will not boot past the initial Robo screen. It does not happen until your reboot after changing the Name. Damn, it took awhile to figure it out.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Lance Weston

The Raspberry Pi 3 B+ does NOT work.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Works OK on my C2, but ... that proves nothing really :)

6. Lance Weston

I got a new 3B+ in a sealed box. Tried it on 2 R2's and it would not even go to the Robo boot screen. I suppose it could have been a bad unit. I bought at Amazon for $75 so back it goes. The two authorized distributors have the 3B for $41, but do not have stock. My guess is that chips are not available for manufacturers and those with stock can get high prices. Eventually the price should come back down.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. Jerome Helbert

Before replacing everything with Klipper, I had RoboOS running just fine on a Pi 4.

I do believe I had to edit the config.txt file on the SD card to get it to run correctly. Pi3 and Pi4 have different settings there.

8. Lance Weston

Please go through how it is done. To get anything working I require step by step and rightly assume I know absolutely nothing.

9. Jerome Helbert

Here is my current config.txt (located on the drive that pops up when you plug the Pi's SD card into a windows computer, also gets mounted to /boot/ when the RPi is running.) This is specific to a Pi4, and it is going to have a lot of things in it that are specific to my heavily customized R2, but I'll try to add comments around the things that probably don't apply to you.

Code:
    # For more options and information see
    # http://rpf.io/configtxt
    # Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
    #hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
    # and your display can output without overscan
    disable_overscan=0 # JRH - The value is specific to my 3rd party LCD touchscreen. This should carry over from your existing config.txt

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
    # goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
    overscan_left= 6 # JRH - The value is specific to my 3rd party LCD touchscreen. This should carry over from your existing config.txt
    overscan_right=10 # JRH - The value is specific to my 3rd party LCD touchscreen. This should carry over from your existing config.txt
    overscan_top=4 # JRH - The value is specific to my 3rd party LCD touchscreen. This should carry over from your existing config.txt
    overscan_bottom=28 # JRH - The value is specific to my 3rd party LCD touchscreen. This should carry over from your existing config.txt

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
    # overscan.
    #framebuffer_width=1280
    #framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
    #hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
    #hdmi_group=1
    #hdmi_mode=1

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
    # DMT (computer monitor) modes
    #hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
    # no display
    #config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
    #sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
    #arm_freq=800

# Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces
    #dtparam=i2c_arm=off
    #dtparam=i2s=on
    dtparam=spi=on # JRH - This is specific to my setup, it's used to control the accelerometer for resonance compensation in Klipper

# Uncomment this to enable infrared communication.
    #dtoverlay=gpio-ir,gpio_pin=17
    #dtoverlay=gpio-ir-tx,gpio_pin=18

# Additional overlays and parameters are documented /boot/overlays/README

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
    #dtparam=audio=on

# JRH - This whole elecros section is specific to my 3rd part LCD touchscreen
    # --- added by elecrow-pitft-setup ---
    hdmi_force_hotplug=1
    max_usb_current=1
    hdmi_drive=2
    hdmi_group=2
    hdmi_mode=1
    hdmi_mode=87
    hdmi_cvt 800 480 60 6 0 0 0
    #dtoverlay=ads7846,cs=1,penirq=25,penirq_pull=2,speed=50000,keep_vref_on=0,swapxy=0,pmax=255,xohms=150,xmin=200,xmax=3900,ymin=200,ymax=3900
    display_hdmi_rotate=2
    # --- end elecrow-pitft-setup ---

# JRH - I am pretty sure the next to sections are what you need to add to get the Pi 4 working. I have the dtoverlay commented out due to issues with my klipper config, you may or may not need to uncomment it.
    [pi4]
    # Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver on top of the dispmanx display stack
    #dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
    max_framebuffers=2

# JRH - this section isnt really critical, just my preferences.
    # Remove lightning/rainbow icon from screen (added by victor)
    avoid_warnings=0
    disable_splash=1

# enable raspicam
    start_x=1
    gpu_mem=256

# enable serial interface to BTT Octopus - JRH specific to my klipper implementation
    dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt

10. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

I would be interested in how you accomplished "Before replacing everything with Klipper....". Is the Klipper mod better than the original Robo OS?

11. Jerome Helbert

In my opinion it is orders of magnitude better. I would say that if you were just comparing Marlin/Octoprint to Klipper, but against RoboOS there is no comparison.

Running Klipper with Moonraker (exposes klipper to external interaction), Mainsail/Fluidd (Gives a web page frontend to Klipper/Moonraker), and KlipperScreen (Gives a touchscreen GUI frontend for Klipper/Moonraker.) If there is one issue with learning Klipper, its that there are so many different components.