1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved X axis just wiggles/vibrates

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JOSEPH D SUPLICKI, Oct 24, 2021.

1. JOSEPH D SUPLICKI

JOSEPH D SUPLICKI New Member

So I have had my R1 for years and everything has worked fine with no issues. I recently moved and packed it back up in the original packaging and arrived at the new place. Set up the printer and was back to printing with no issues. After completing a few prints I replaced the filament and went to start another one and the X axis motor seemed to receive power but not enough to make it move. It just buzz whenever it would try to move. either using Matter control and sending a command to move on the x axis, or in a print. Y and Z were functioning just fine.

I tried to dig and I found another user that appeared to have the exact same issue and said he was going to talk to the support team and never came back with what the solution was - threads/y-axis-stuttering.18062/ (I cannot post the full link yet.

So I disconnected the X axis on the mainboard and connected it to the Y instead, then tried sending a Y command, I received the same result. so I figured that the stepper motor had just met its EOL, so I replaced the motor, and the same result. so I figured there might be something with the cable, so I ordered some new ones and swapped it and the same result. (on both X and Y outputs) at this point, I am stumped and looking to see if anyone else has any suggestions

thanks in advance

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I always start these types of problems by replacing the stepper drivers they look like this and there are 4 (one for each axis and the extruder):

Stepper drivers.jpg

They are also -- cheap. A couple of US dollars each -- make sure that the heat sink is still installed on the ones you have and be certain the one you replace has it installed too.

These are on top of the RAMPS board under the base of the printer.

Ramps with stepper.jpg

Red/Green -- the color of the board is irreleevant as long as it is an A4988 driver like these (examples only):

https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Stepstick-Stepper-Printer-Compatible/dp/B07BND65C8

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

this diagram tells you which one controls each stepper:

ramps1-4connectors.png

Notice the labels: E0/E1 (extruder 0 or extruder 1) and X/Y/Z for each axis.

4. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

You could swap a stepper driver to test it but don't do it with any power going into the printer. Even if you turn off the main switch, you will still have power coming from the USB cable. As for the servo cable, compare the connections from the old cable to the new cable. They are usually wired differently, and you have to swap the connections. Sometimes plugging in an improperly wired cable could damage a stepper driver, so check the connections first.

5. JOSEPH D SUPLICKI

thank for the comments, I have ordered new stepper drivers, will update here on Saturday (10/30/21)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. JOSEPH D SUPLICKI

Ok, So I got the new boards in and was able to install them
    1) now when I move the Z-axis it moves fine if I move it 1mm at a time if it tries to move over 5 it also stops and bugs out, I will try swapping back to the old board to see if the new board is the issue
    2) the X-axis responds the same, If I lightly push on the carriage and click the X movement it will move whatever way I am pushing. lightly push to the left and click the button to go right it will move to the left.
    3) a Friend suggested trying a new Slicer to see if maybe the slicer was giving me issues, so I tried Cura and the same response.

Next I will try a new USB and a Different computer, because who knows. Any other suggestions are appreciated

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sounds as if the stepper drivers are not using enough drive current.

New slicer will not help this does not sound like software at all. Which stepper drivers did you use?

8. JOSEPH D SUPLICKI

you are probably right, I used these because the pinning matched.
    DAOKI 5Pcs Stepper Motor Driver Module A4988 for Reprap 3D Printer StepStick Stepper Motor Driver Module with Heatsink for arduino

I can't post links

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

A4988 is the correct ones to use (if you have everything stock -- some of the other varieties can be used if you edit the firmware).
    Try reusing the stepper drivers you originally had (only one of which was suspect). See if you are getting movement. These are the ones I found that match your description: https://www.amazon.com/DAOKI-Stepper-Printer-StepStick-Heatsink/dp/B07XD4WWG1
    Those whould be fine. If all you replaced was the stepper drivers just make sure the heatsinks are attached -- if you changed anything else (like the RAMPS board the drivers are mounted one) then you may need to set the jumpers on the board correctly for the new stepper drivers. If not, then don't sweat that -- the stock RAMPS board should have the jumpers set correctly.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Couple more posts and you should be OK to post links as well :)

11. JOSEPH D SUPLICKI

Ok I'm back, Life, holidays, etc. So I am back at this, trying to get this to work. So I think I am losing my mind.
    1) I ordered 2 different Stepper motors both of them exhibit the same issue... And a little more description about what is does is when you send a command to move the motor it gets a command and will energize but will not move. If I have the motor sitting there I can hear it pulsing but not moving. If I put a little pressure on the spindle it will vibrate. If you spin it enough to complete the amount of movement you sent in the command it will stop trying to move.
    2) none of the other motors exhibit this issue. So I moved the X stepper wire to the Y connection on the board and, the same issue, that would lead me to believe that the issue was not at the RAMPS board or the Stepper Drivers and was somewhere either the wire or the Motor. but after testing multiple wires and motors with the issue continuing with each I have no ideas left.

Any insight is appreciated

Could it be in the RAMPS board, I don't understand how, but maybe?

12. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

Check each wire on the cable to make sure that it's wired correctly. The pin configuration of a lot brands of cables varies. You will have to compare it to the original cable, then release the pins, and swap them into the correct position if they don't match the original cable.

13. JOSEPH D SUPLICKI

Well.... it got weirder. I made sure that the wires matched the originals and the X did nothing, Going to pull out the multi meter and test continuity. But now the Y axis started making not smooth movements, and worse I can click - on the Y axis and it will move down, then click - again and it moves up, click - again, goes down.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The motors are not the issue most likely it is the stepper driver (A4988) as I mentioned earlier.
    These are a (removable/replaceable) part of the RAMPS board. Try swapping those -- they are quite cheap.

P.S. Y axis is along the bed -- not up and down :)
    Up and down is Z

15. JOSEPH D SUPLICKI

Yeah, I meant back and forth not up and down for the Y axis

But I did get it working. I will be doing a test print here in a minute. I put all the original Stepper drivers back in, Swapped the X and Y stepper motors, and changed out the wires from the RAMPS board to the Steppers (this time making sure the wires matched the original layout) and EVERYTHING MOVES CORRECTLY. So now I will do a test print. Looks like it was the motos or the wires or both.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good work. It could be a loose connection certainly, it could also have been a stepper driver dropping a bit of current and moving it from one stepper motor to another sorts it because the new motor it is on wants a bit less current :)

Excellent job stikcing with it...