1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered looking at new slicers

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by joea, Nov 19, 2022.

1. joea

joea Active Member

None of the current, free, slicers seem to do USB connections any more. They seem to what something like Repetier, Octoprint, etc.

Began looking at Repetier and got puzzlified by their "server" and "host" offering. Asked for clarification on their forum, but no response so far.

What's the difference? Main thing is is need, want to be able to connect to my two current printers via USB, since that is all they do.

Being able to change slicers as I wish seems like a good idea as well. What can do this for me?

2. fred3d

fred3d Member

I don't use MatterControl, but a friend who has a Robo3D R1+ uses that program for his printing. Both the earlier version and the most recent one are free, to the best of my knowledge and send the print via USB cable. It's not the most sophisticated program out there, but it does work.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Repetier Host is what you want for a client to drive the printer and slice.

May folks use OctoPrint to drive the printer and then have OctoPrint do the printing host (sending the GCode). The printer gets a web page on your network that you use for starting and monitoring prints.

4. ozzy10

ozzy10 New Member

Server and host in the context of Repetier and Octoprint refer to different ways of using the software. A "server" version of the software is typically run on a computer that is always on and connected to the internet, and it allows multiple users to access and control the 3D printer remotely. A "host" version of the software is typically run on a computer that is connected directly to the 3D printer via USB and it allows the user to control the printer and slice models directly from that computer.

If you need to connect to your two current printers via USB and change slicers as you wish, you may want to look into using a host version of the software, such as Repetier-Host or OctoPrint. These software allows you to connect your printer via USB, control it and slice models directly from your computer, and also allows you to change slicers as you like.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. joea

joea Active Member

Thanks to all for the replies. I have a better understanding now.

ozzy10 likes this.