1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Trying to print with PETG

Discussion in 'Filament' started by Lance Weston, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

I have a problem with PETG. The filament gradually wicks up the nozzle until enough accumulates to drop and blob my print. I have installed a 50w heater in my hotend so that I could increase the temp. The hotter I got, now up to 280C the less the filament wicks up the nozzle.

The vendor recommends 220C to 250C and 30mm print speed and a phone call recommended a 95% flow rate. Has anyone gat a strong PETG with workable settings?

I want to USA filament. Hatchbox is by far the best, but Chinese.
    Florida Filament is very inconsistent but strong
    LLDmax is fairly strong with a very narrow range that changes roll to roll
    Greengate I can never get to not blob

I must be doing something wrong as it is a commonly used filament.

At 280C print temp with LLLDmax PETG I have reduced the amount of filament wicking up nozzle to below the accumulation that will drip onto a 4 hour print. I have to clean off the exterior of the nozzle after every print. With a retraction of 1mm@20mm/sec I still get crap in the holes. I will now see if there is a retraction that will give me clean holes.

#1 Lance Weston, Dec 6, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Odd, my experience with other filaments (like PLA) was more opposite in that too hot tended to have the filament curl on the nozzle rather than lay down. I do occasionally use the Taulman TECH-G (PETG) and that has worked well. I have never had any real problem with any of their filament (their 230 nylon is a pain, but that is not really on them -- as a material is just tough to get right).

3. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

I am surprised by the Temp I am using with PETG. PETG is not as strong as GST3D PLA+ by a large margin. I have to beef up my designs when using PETG. So far, going down in flow rate and increasing Coasting (now at .2) is improving stringing. I have not yet optimized the values, but when I do I will post the results.