1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

onboard Raspberry Pi is slow and keeps disconnecting from my wifi

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by supercazzola, Jan 4, 2023.

1. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

Just curious, does anyone know what model Raspberry pi is in an R2, and if upgrading it to a more modern version will help with reliability ?

Besides loading a new SD card up with the image I made a few years back, and popping that in to the existing Raspberry Pi, anyone have any other ideas what may be causing me the issues with the wifi ? My SSID for both 2.4 and 5.8 GHz has always been named the same SSID. So not sure what is going on.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It was a Pi 3

It could be the Broadcom chip is failing. It could just need the OS refreshed or updated. Sadly the Robo LCD menu system is frozen on an old version of Raspbian, but if you forgo that and just use a current OctoPi innstall with an LCD plugin -- you can get a functional printer again.

I think I have an 'fresh' (as in like new) Robo Sd card that you can use, but I would suggest just upgrading the OS on the Pi.

If that does not work the the Pi itself may be failing (it can be replaced -- but they are no longer cheap).

#2 mark tomlinson, Jan 10, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  3. supercazzola

Thanks Mark. Happy new year to you. Are there any guides for doing that? I’d be very interested in getting a modern updated setup working but feared breaking stuff software wise.

I know how to flash new raspberry pi OS to card but I meant the install of octopi and setup for the R2

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So, keep the SD card you have in the R2. Buy a new one (16gb or 32gb -- I'd say 32).
    Put the generic OctopPi image on that new SD card (download and install instructions for new SD card here: https://octoprint.org/download/ ). All you need to know to configure the software for the R2 is here: https://community.octoprint.org/t/known-printer-profiles-for-octoprint/3032

Then put the old SD card away in case you need it again. Just boot and run the OctoPrint o the new card.

For the LCD I would suggest using one of the OctoPrint plugins (look here: https://all3dp.com/2/octoprint-touchscreen-tutorial/). That video shows one, but there are others if you like them better.

Remember that you can connect your PC or phone to the OctoPrint web interface and have total control over your printer from anywhere.

supercazzola likes this.
  5. supercazzola

Thanks. I’ll give it a go. They have a profile for the C2, but not the R2. I guess I could find out what these values need to be for the R2 if they are different than the C2 (assuming my profile in Simplify 3d would help me fill in the missing info):

Brand Model Form Factor Origin Heated Bed Width Depth Height Custom Bound-ing Box MaxX (inverted?) MaxY (inverted?) MaxZ (inverted?) E Nozzle Extruders Who Notes........................................................

Robo 3D Robo C2 rect lower left no 125mm 125mm 145mm no 6000 mm/min 6000 mm/min 200 mm/min (yes) 300 mm/min 0.4 mm 1 OutsourcedGuru

6. supercazzola

So, I will document it for others.
    First thing I saw after installing Octoprint was this message:

Attached Files:

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. supercazzola

Here are the settings I chose for the R2 Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 8.24.26 PM.png Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 8.24.45 PM.png Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 8.25.01 PM.png Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 8.25.14 PM.png

8. supercazzola

@mark tomlinson Well, can't install plugins...

Have to get this figured out first. Wonder if this was the source of some of my problems to begin with.
    What do you think could be my options to fix the throttled ?
    Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 8.31.26 PM.png

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The power supply is not holding up the Pi -- it probably has the lightning bolt in the top right corner).
    The Pi is aggressive on power and you really want at least a 3 amp supply for the Pi 3 (and as much as 5 amp for the Pi 4). The official numbers are lower (2.5 amp for the 3 and 3 amp for the 4) but I have found it is better to go 'big'

Underpowered forces the Pi to throttle the # of cores and speed it runs at.

10. supercazzola

OK, so I drilled out bigger the hole in the back of the R2, to the left of the network port. Passed the RFI choke of the raspberry pi power supply through it, and now have the pi powered separately.
    next hurdle was to install the drivers for the touchscreen. I see stuff, but looks like it is upside down and inverted. Do we know what the resolution of the stock touchscreen is on the R2?
    I'm trying to follow https://github.com/BillyBlaze/OctoPrint-TouchUI/wiki/Setup:-Boot-to-Browser

11. supercazzola

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. supercazzola

OK, so found some proper settings to load into config file https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/5inch_HDMI_LCD
    only issue was screen was upside down. Looked at original SD card by Robo, and saw the display_rotate=2. Trying that next:

Code:
    dtparam=audio=on
    hdmi_group=2
    hdmi_mode=1
    hdmi_mode=87
    hdmi_cvt 800 480 60 6 0 0 0
    dtoverlay=ads7846,cs=1,penirq=25,penirq_pull=2,speed=50000,keep_vref_on=0,swapxy=0,pmax=255,xohms=150,xmin=200,xmax=3900,ymin=200,ymax=3900
    hdmi_drive=1
    hdmi_force_hotplug=1
    display_rotate=2

13. supercazzola

Well, making progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[​IMG]

14. supercazzola

OK, and you also have to edit some files to make the touch aspect inverted. Do this before you install OctoDash or you can't run the wizard and will get stuck deleting the config file Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 11.56.19 PM.png

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good write up. The inverted screen gets me every time I use one with an LCD and I have to google up the config edit :)
    Even on the tablet sized screens we use on some projects.
    Helps I guess that I have run into this a few (dozen) times.

16. supercazzola

Thanks. Once I get done, I’ll clean up the writeup and make a post that could be a sticky and be “how to run new version of Octoprint and use LCD” or something along those lines.

17. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

Here is a link to a valid SD card image. Just burn this image to a 16 mb Sandisk card.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RM7due607CQg3A5QX2bU0HkiJWkx2BEe/view?usp=share_link
    software to burn sd card image
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o6Y_jwGPM3XeRI1E-sb3Y2swW8ra8D9U/view?usp=share_link

supercazzola likes this.
  18. supercazzola

Thanks. It’s been a fun ride to learn how to do it. I’m very appreciative of you sharing your card’s image, but, I will probably stick with the one I spent the last week doing. If you documented how you did yours, it would be neat to compare notes. I was thinking to make a guide to be a sticky. If you already did that and I missed it, I apologize.

19. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

Original R2 image

20. supercazzola

@mark tomlinson with the default octopi, how do you do any sort of calculation of z-offset after you replace nozzle, for example?